Optimization of a suspended system. (hanging mass)

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a way to join two cables to suspend a load 6m below a high ceiling without using the entire length of the cables.
stf

Homework Statement

A load must be suspended 6m below a high ceiling using cables attached to two supports that are 2m apart. How fare below the ceiling (x in figure) should the cables be joined to minimize the total length of the cable used? They give a figure, which I am butchering here.
Code:
  |2m|
--------------------
   \  /      |
    \/       |x is this length
    |
    |
    |        | 6m is from top to bottom
    []

Homework Equations

This is in Calc 1, under optimization problems. So generally we are looking at minimum and maximum values using first and second derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is clearly a minimization problem, which means I will be taking a first derivative at some point. I am perplexed as to what actual form to put this in though, as I know I need to ultimately find the length of cable, which would seem to be something like 6 + x, but this does not feel right, and from here I don't know where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi stf! :wink:

with questions like this, you need to choose a variable to work with

you can choose anything reasonable, but i'd suggest using the length of the vertical part …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi stf! :wink:

with questions like this, you need to choose a variable to work with

you can choose anything reasonable, but i'd suggest using the length of the vertical part …

what do you get? :smile:

But how would I go about setting that up in an equation? It seems like I would have two parts of the length of the wire, the two that form the intersecting \/ so for example 2a, and the rest to the bottom, or (6 - a), but if i set this up to be a whole length of cable it would be (6 -a) + 2a which is just 6+a, but this doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

if the vertical part is x, the other parts will be longer than 6 - x :wink:

Well, I mean it seems like it would have 3 parts, two identical which are the \/ section and one long remaining section. the total from top to bottom would be 6m, so the vertical would be a portion of the 6m minus the height in between the connecting angle, so i don't really understand what you are getting at here. I understand that the two parts will be longer than a simple straight line due to the triangle formed, but I don't really understand how to proceed.

pythagoras :wink:

stf said:
But how would I go about setting that up in an equation? It seems like I would have two parts of the length of the wire, the two that form the intersecting \/ so for example 2a, and the rest to the bottom, or (6 - a), but if i set this up to be a whole length of cable it would be (6 -a) + 2a which is just 6+a, but this doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

I'm actually working on the same problem...I don't know if you got it yet, but I've set it up pretty close to that, with one difference:

Instead of 2a + 6 - a = L (L being total length), I have

2a+6-x = L

(x being the distance between the top and the 'fork').

Does that make sense to you? From there, I'm going use Pythagoras to get a in terms of x, and use that to finish the problem.

If I've made a grave error, please correct me. :)

EDIT: Having done all this, I seem to have gotten a reasonably sensible answer--note, once you have a in terms of x, you can substitute the the equation into a, in the length equation so you have that equation all in terms of x and can properly differentiate it.

Last edited:
lucy8love said:
I'm actually working on the same problem...I don't know if you got it yet, but I've set it up pretty close to that, with one difference:

Instead of 2a + 6 - a = L (L being total length), I have

2a+6-x = L

(x being the distance between the top and the 'fork').

Does that make sense to you? From there, I'm going use Pythagoras to get a in terms of x, and use that to finish the problem.

If I've made a grave error, please correct me. :)

EDIT: Having done all this, I seem to have gotten a reasonably sensible answer--note, once you have a in terms of x, you can substitute the the equation into a, in the length equation so you have that equation all in terms of x and can properly differentiate it.

Hello! Actually I am a terrible person, I solved it after tim's last post and should really have thanked him.

So yes, I eventually set up the equation to be (6-x) + 2(sqrt(1^2 + x^2)) where x is the length of the "triangle" that is formed by the two cables connected to the beam, which is exactly what you are doing I think.

^^Haha yes, quite literally I did the exact same thing.

Related to Optimization of a suspended system. (hanging mass)

1. How do you optimize a suspended system with a hanging mass?

The optimization process for a suspended system with a hanging mass involves finding the optimal values for the system's parameters, such as the length of the rope, the mass of the hanging object, and the angle at which the rope is suspended. This can be done by using mathematical equations and principles, such as the law of conservation of energy and the principle of least action.

2. What factors affect the optimization of a suspended system?

The optimization of a suspended system is affected by various factors, including the length of the rope, the mass of the hanging object, the angle at which the rope is suspended, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance. These factors can be manipulated to find the optimal configuration for the system.

3. What is the purpose of optimizing a suspended system?

The purpose of optimizing a suspended system is to find the most efficient and stable configuration that minimizes the system's energy and maximizes its performance. This is important in various applications, such as bridge construction, building design, and mechanical engineering.

4. How does optimization of a suspended system benefit real-world applications?

The optimization of a suspended system can greatly benefit real-world applications by improving the stability and efficiency of structures, reducing costs and resources, and ensuring safety. For example, optimizing the design of a bridge can make it more resistant to strong winds and earthquakes.

5. What are some challenges in optimizing a suspended system?

One of the main challenges in optimizing a suspended system is dealing with the complex and non-linear behaviors of the system, which can make it difficult to accurately model and predict its performance. Another challenge is finding the right balance between different parameters to achieve the desired outcome without compromising safety and stability.