Optimization problem, triangle

In summary, the problem is to find the shortest possible distance between two points, A and B, on a line passing through the point (1, 1/8) and intersecting the positive x-axis at point A and the positive y-axis at point B. Using the equation of the line and calculus, you can minimize the distance function and find the minimum distance.
roman15

Homework Statement

a line passes through the point (1,1/8) and intersects the positive x-axis at the point A and the positive y-axis at the point B. What is the shortest possible distance between A and B?

Homework Equations

i came up with three slopes for this line
m1=-b/a m2=-1/8(a-1) m3=(1/8)-b
A(a,0) and B(0,b)

The Attempt at a Solution

well i tried using these equations to solve for a in terms of b and then use that in the distance equation, but when i differentiated i ended up with a cubic function and i could solve
then i tried looking at the problem using similar triangles and the breaking up the distance between them into two parts, but then i got that b was 1/8 and a was 1 which doesn't make sense

Physics news on Phys.org
roman15 said:

Homework Statement

a line passes through the point (1,1/8) and intersects the positive x-axis at the point A and the positive y-axis at the point B. What is the shortest possible distance between A and B?

Homework Equations

i came up with three slopes for this line
m1=-b/a m2=-1/8(a-1) m3=(1/8)-b
A(a,0) and B(0,b)

The Attempt at a Solution

well i tried using these equations to solve for a in terms of b and then use that in the distance equation, but when i differentiated i ended up with a cubic function and i could solve
then i tried looking at the problem using similar triangles and the breaking up the distance between them into two parts, but then i got that b was 1/8 and a was 1 which doesn't make sense
If the coordinates of A are (a, 0) and those of B are (0, b), the slope of the line is -b/a. Now find the equation of the line, which will give you a relationship between x and y.

Your problem is to minimize the distance between A and B, and the distance is sqrt(a2 + b2). Using the equation of the line, you can write the distance function in terms of one variable, and then use calculus to find the minimum distance.

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the goal is to find the best possible solution from a set of possible solutions. This can involve maximizing or minimizing a certain variable, subject to certain constraints.

2. How is optimization used in triangles?

Optimization can be used in triangles to find the maximum or minimum values of certain properties, such as the area or perimeter. This can be useful in real-world applications, such as designing structures or solving engineering problems.

3. What is the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. This theorem is important in optimization problems involving triangles, as it helps determine the range of possible values for the sides of a triangle.

4. Can optimization be applied to any type of triangle?

Yes, optimization can be applied to any type of triangle, including equilateral, scalene, and isosceles triangles. The specific variables and constraints may vary depending on the type of triangle, but the general principles of optimization still apply.

5. What are some real-world applications of optimization in triangles?

Optimization in triangles can be applied in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and construction. For example, architects may use optimization to determine the most efficient shape for a building's floor plan, while engineers may use it to design the most stable and cost-effective bridge structures.