Max Volume of Open Top Box with 300m sq Metal: Solving the Optimization Problem

In summary: You are using the wrong second-order test. You must either (1) use an unconstrained method (for example, minimizing F(l,w), where F = the value of V when h is eliminated by using the constraint to solve for h as a function of l and w---as suggested by Mark44; or(2) use the Lagrange multiplier method and keep all three variables l, w and h. In case (1) your function F(l,w) is being minimized using unconstrained criteria, so the Hessian of that 2-dimensional function should be used. That is not what you did. In case (2) the appropriate Hessian to test is the Hessian of the
Kuma

Homework Statement

what is the maximum volume of an open top box that can be created with 300m sq of metal assuming none is wasted?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so that means the surface area of the box must total 300 m sq

so

A(l,w,h)= lw + 2lh + 2wh = 300

and volume is given by

V(l,w,h) = lwh

my problem is when taking partials for l w and h in the area equation, I get 0 as the critical points. Are my equations wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kuma said:

Homework Statement

what is the maximum volume of an open top box that can be created with 300m sq of metal assuming none is wasted?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so that means the surface area of the box must total 300 m sq

so

A(l,w,h)= lw + 2lh + 2wh = 300

and volume is given by

V(l,w,h) = lwh

my problem is when taking partials for l w and h in the area equation, I get 0 as the critical points. Are my equations wrong?

Your surface area equation can be solved for one of the variables. You can then substitute for that variable in your volume equation so that volume is a function of only two variables. Take partials of the volume equation, not the surface area equation.

Do you know the method of Lagrange multipliers? Anybody doing optimization should learn this method---it is standard.

RGV

I have done larangian multipliers but only with 2 variables.

anyway I followed the method suggested and got a critical point of

l = 10
h = 5
w = 10

now I need to verify this but I'm unsure of which function to form the hessian with. The volume?

It would have to be the volume. That's what you're finding the maximum value for. The surface area is fixed.

ok I did it for the volume but now I have another problem. The hessian is indicating that its a saddle point rather than a max. This is what I did. The hessian is given by

fll flw flh
fwl fww fwh
fhl fhw fhh

which equals

0 h w
h 0 l
w l 0

which equals

0 5 10
5 0 10
10 10 0

that hessian matrix indicates a saddle. The eigenvalues are not all negative.

did I do something wrong?

Kuma said:
ok I did it for the volume but now I have another problem. The hessian is indicating that its a saddle point rather than a max. This is what I did. The hessian is given by

fll flw flh
fwl fww fwh
fhl fhw fhh

which equals

0 h w
h 0 l
w l 0

which equals

0 5 10
5 0 10
10 10 0

that hessian matrix indicates a saddle. The eigenvalues are not all negative.

did I do something wrong?

You are using the wrong second-order test. You must either (1) use an unconstrained method (for example, minimizing F(l,w), where F = the value of V when h is eliminated by using the constraint to solve for h as a function of l and w---as suggested by Mark44; or(2) use the Lagrange multiplier method and keep all three variables l, w and h. In case (1) your function F(l,w) is being minimized using unconstrained criteria, so the Hessian of that 2-dimensional function should be used. That is not what you did. In case (2) the appropriate Hessian to test is the Hessian of the LAGRANGIAN, not the objective function. (By objective function we mean: the thing you are trying to maximize or minimize.) Furthermore, we test for positive or negative definiteness of this Hessian projected down into the tangent subspace of the constraint, not in the whole space. You did not do that, either. (When I did it, I got a negative-definite projected Hessian of the Lagrangian, so the point I found---the same as yours---is a strict local constrained maximum, by some appropriate theorems in Optimization theory.) So, unless you want to deal with projected Hessians, you had better use the lower-dimensional unconstrained version.

RGV

I have a similar problem, so then in this one the hessian should be used for the Volume function in terms of l and w or 2 variables instead of all 3?

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal?

The formula for finding the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal is V = (300m2)/h, where h is the height of the box.

2. How do you solve an optimization problem to find the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal?

To solve an optimization problem for the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal, you would need to use the above formula and find the derivative of the volume equation. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the height of the box. This will give you the optimal height that will result in the maximum volume.

3. What is the maximum volume that can be achieved with 300m sq of metal for an open top box?

The maximum volume that can be achieved with 300m sq of metal for an open top box is 150m3. This can be found by using the formula V = (300m2)/h, where h is equal to half of the metal's side length.

4. Can the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal be achieved with any height?

No, the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal can only be achieved with a specific height. This can be found by using the formula V = (300m2)/h, where h is equal to half of the metal's side length. Using any other height will result in a smaller volume.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal?

Some real-life applications of finding the maximum volume of an open top box with 300m sq metal include designing storage containers, packaging materials, and optimizing space in warehouses or shipping containers. This concept can also be applied in architecture and engineering to design efficient structures and buildings.