Optimize Filter Thickness with MCNP5 for Phosphorus 32 Bremsstrahlung

• Thread starter Addali sabah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp5
In summary: MCNP to simulate.In summary, the conversation discusses the optimization of thickness of filters to reduce the continuous Bremsstrahlung spectrum emitted by phosphorus 32 using MCNP5 code. The main question is about the correct form of declaration of Bremsstrahlung in the input file and which cards to use for it. The experts suggest using a source of electrons and photons with mode pe and defining a detector region made of Ge with an F8:p,e tally to get the probability of each energy. The input file provided by the person asking the question is also reviewed and some suggestions for corrections are given.
Addali sabah
TL;DR Summary
bremsstrahlung simulated by MCNP5
I am working on optimizing the thickness of the filters in order to reduce the continuous Bremsstrahlung spectrum emitted by phosphorus 32 with a maximum energy of 1.8 MeV measured by the Ge(HP) detector using MCNP5 code but unfortunately I don't haven't found the exact form of declaration of bremsstrahlung in the MCNP5 input file, how can I find the correct form of declaration of bremsstrahlung in the MCNP5, and what cards are used for it?. what is the tally to use to get the probability of each energy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
I'm not sure to understand your problem.
Just transport electrons and photons (mode e p). Your source must be electrons (sdef par=e) and Bremsstrahlung photons will be produced (Bremsstrahlung photons spectrum) and transported.

Likes Alex A
PSRB191921 said:
Hi,
I'm not sure to understand your problem.
Just transport electrons and photons (mode e p). Your source must be electrons (sdef par=e) and Bremsstrahlung photons will be produced (Bremsstrahlung photons spectrum) and transported.
thank you but
how can i declare this " Bremsstrahlung photons will be produced (Bremsstrahlung photons spectrum) and transported" in the mcnp5 input file? .is it in phys cards ?

I believe @PSRB191921 's point is that if you put a source of beta rays in a source region made of the same elements your real source is made of, they will interact and produce Bremsstrahlung in same way it happens in the real world. So long as your mode is pe this should happen automatically. If the spectrum is wrong you will need to change the elements in the source to alter it.

If you define a detector region made of Ge, and do an F8:p,e tally, you can set an E8 card with a large number of energy bins around the regions of interest.

Likes PSRB191921
can you help me to find the mistake in the input file ? Is it this declaration correct for the bremsstrahlung?
this is my input file ( The modeled geometry is composed of the detector( Ge HP) and a parallelepiped source P32 )
1 1 -5.323 (2 :3 )1 -4 -5
2 2 -1.82 -6
3 0 -7 #1 #2
4 0 7

1 pz 0
2 pz 5.1
3 cz 0.6
4 pz 6.1
5 cz 3.025
6 rpp -0.5 0.5 -0.5 0.5 11 11.1
7 so 15

mode p e
m1 32000. 1 $Ge
m2 15032. 1 $P
imp:p 1 2r 0 $ 1, 4
imp:e 1 3r $ 1, 4
sdef PAR=3 ERG=1.7 x=d1 y=d2 z=d3 vec= 0 0 -1 dir=1
si1 -0.5 0.5
sp1 0 1
si2 -0.5 0.5
sp2 0 1
si3 11 11.1
sp3 0 1
nps 1000000
cut:p,e j 0.001
f8:p 1
e8 0 1e-03 120i 1.8
ft8 geb 0.707E-03 0.946E-03
phys:e 2 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0
phys:p 2 0 1 0 1
I want to find the spectrum of phosphorus 32 (bremsstrahlung) and the X-rays from germanium.

Your first line isn't supposed to be a cell line (It might not be, maybe you just didn't copy your title). imp:e is weird you seem to be setting importance to 1 for the void. The source xyz needs setting. You have filled the source with phosphorus 32, which isn't right. It probably has a lot of other things in it, check what it's made of, and very little actual isotope.

I'm still digesting the other stuff.

• Informative
Likes PSRB191921
it would be easier to make a sketch of what you want to simulate

Likes Alex A

1. What is MCNP5 and how does it relate to optimizing filter thickness for Phosphorus 32 Bremsstrahlung?

MCNP5 is a Monte Carlo N-Particle transport code used for simulating and analyzing the transport of particles through matter. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering and medical physics to model radiation interactions. In this case, MCNP5 is used to optimize the thickness of a filter for Phosphorus 32 Bremsstrahlung, which is a type of radiation used in medical imaging.

2. Why is it important to optimize filter thickness for Phosphorus 32 Bremsstrahlung?

Optimizing filter thickness is important because it can significantly affect the quality and accuracy of the resulting image. A filter that is too thick may attenuate too much of the radiation, resulting in a low-quality image, while a filter that is too thin may not attenuate enough, leading to a noisy or distorted image.

3. What factors are taken into consideration when optimizing filter thickness with MCNP5?

When optimizing filter thickness with MCNP5, several factors are considered, including the energy and intensity of the radiation source, the material and thickness of the filter, and the desired image quality. The goal is to find the optimal balance between radiation attenuation and image quality.

4. Can MCNP5 be used for other types of radiation besides Phosphorus 32 Bremsstrahlung?

Yes, MCNP5 can be used to optimize filter thickness for various types of radiation, including gamma rays, X-rays, and beta particles. However, the specific parameters and considerations may vary depending on the type of radiation being studied.

5. How accurate is MCNP5 in predicting the optimal filter thickness for Phosphorus 32 Bremsstrahlung?

MCNP5 is a highly accurate and reliable tool for simulating and optimizing radiation interactions. However, the accuracy of the results may depend on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made in the simulation. It is important to carefully validate and verify the results obtained from MCNP5 with experimental data.