Optimizing PD Tuner Parameters for Improved Performance: A MATLAB Study

In summary, the task at hand is to design a PD Controller on Matlab that meets specific performance criteria, including a 10-90% rise time of less than 0.5 seconds, a percentage overshoot of less than 5%, and a settling time of less than 5 seconds. The closed loop transfer function of the system includes two parameters, Kd and Kp, which have specified ranges. The question is how these parameters influence the performance criteria. Through experimentation, the performance criteria were met when Kd was set to a maximum value of 4.39 and Kp was set to approximately half of its range at 0.7. However, it is still unclear how these parameters directly affect the performance criteria and further
JI567

Homework Statement

So I have been asked to design a PD Controller on Matlab that satisfies certain performance criteria which are as follows :

1. The 10-90% rise time is less than 0.5 s
2. The percentage overshoot is less than 5%.
3. The settling time is less than 5 s

I was given the closed loop transfer function of the system which had two parameters as Kd and Kp where
Kp lies between a range of 0<Kp<1.5
and Kd lies between a range of 0<Kd<4.4

Question is to figure out how Kd and Kp influence the performance criterias.

Homework Equations

The closed loop transfer function = ## G_{cl}(s) \ ## = ## \frac {K_Ds + K_P} {1.1{s}^2+K_Ds+K_P} \ ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have acheived the performance criteria as stated on MATLAB when I put ## K_D \ ## as maximum of 4.39 and ## K_P \ ## as around the half of the range as 0.7. However, I really can't tell how exactly they affect the performance criterias because I have produced many graphs with different values of both parameters and I just can't figure out a relationship between them. Please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I have noticed is that if either of the parameters was set to be too high, the response would become very unstable. Is there any way I can state a mathematical relationship between Kd and Kp and these performance criterias?

1. What is the purpose of optimizing PD tuner parameters for improved performance?

The purpose of optimizing PD tuner parameters is to enhance the performance of a control system by adjusting the proportional and derivative gains to achieve better stability, speed, and accuracy.

2. How does MATLAB assist in optimizing PD tuner parameters?

MATLAB provides powerful tools and algorithms for analyzing and tuning control systems. It allows for quick and efficient parameter optimization through simulation and visualization of system responses.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing PD tuner parameters?

The key factors to consider when choosing PD tuner parameters are the system dynamics, desired performance specifications, and the type of control system being used. Other factors such as noise, disturbances, and actuator limitations should also be taken into account.

4. Can the optimized PD tuner parameters be applied to any control system?

The optimized PD tuner parameters can be applied to a wide range of control systems, but they may need to be adjusted based on the specific dynamics and performance requirements of each system.

5. How often should PD tuner parameters be optimized for a control system?

The frequency of optimizing PD tuner parameters depends on the stability and performance of the control system. If the system is functioning well, there may not be a need for frequent optimization. However, if there are changes in the system or performance issues arise, it may be necessary to re-optimize the parameters.