Optimizing Pump Mixing in a Dual Pump System for Titrations

In summary, the question is about using two pumps with different concentrations to run a titration. The concern is whether Pump B, running at a slower rate than Pump A, will still effectively mix with Pump A's solution before reaching the analyzer. It is possible to make this setup work by throttling the flow of Pump B, using a recycle loop, or having a high pressure reservoir downstream of Pump B.
LtStorm
So, this seemed most appropriate for this forum, as it's essentially a question about pumps, pressures, and fluid mechanics.

The set up I have that this question pertains to;

There are two pumps that have lines running to a T-joint with a small chamber to allow for mixing before exiting into an analyzer.

To bring a bit of chemistry into this, what I'm trying to do is run a titration using this setup; I have one solution in Pump A's reservoir, and a different solution in Pump B's reservoir. Pump A's concentration needs to be held constant, while Pump B's concentration needs to be varied. I'm trying to figure out if I need to run both pumps at the same rate, and change the concentration of Pump B's solution, or if I can simply vary the rate of Pump B to get the same effect.

The question in the end is; if Pump B runs slower than Pump A, will mixing still occur effectively, or will Pump B be unable to effectively deliver its solution to the mixing reservoir with Pump A's solution carrying it into the analyzer before it has a chance to mix in the chamber appreciably, and does the rate of Pump B in comparison to Pump A have an effect on that mixing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming both pumps can produce sufficient head to flow into the mixing T, it can be made to work. Reducing flow of pump B can be done in different ways. If it is a centrifugal pump, you may be able to change flow enough simply by throttling the inlet or outlet. If that doesn't get you enough variation in flow rate, you can go to a recycle loop which will work with any type of pump. The last thing you can do is to have a high pressure reservoir downstream of pump B that acts as a buffer. The reservoir would be pumped up to a shut off set point and back on at a lower set point some where above the pressure you need. The flow from the reservoir would then be modulated through a control valve.

Related to Optimizing Pump Mixing in a Dual Pump System for Titrations

1. How does mixing from two pump sources work?

Mixing from two pump sources involves combining two different liquids or substances with different properties to create a new mixture. This can be achieved by physically mixing the two substances together or by using a device such as a pump to combine them.

2. What are the benefits of mixing from two pump sources?

Mixing from two pump sources allows for precise control over the ratio of the two substances, resulting in a more accurate and consistent mixture. It also allows for the creation of new substances with unique properties.

3. What types of substances can be mixed using two pump sources?

Two pump sources can be used to mix a wide range of substances, including liquids, gases, and even powders. The substances should have compatible properties and be able to flow through the pump system.

4. Are there any risks associated with mixing from two pump sources?

Like any scientific process, there are potential risks when mixing from two pump sources. It is important to carefully select and test the substances being mixed to ensure they are compatible and to follow safety protocols to prevent accidents or hazardous reactions.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing pump sources for mixing?

When choosing pump sources for mixing, it is important to consider the properties of the substances being combined, the desired ratio of the mixture, and the compatibility of the pump materials with the substances. It is also important to ensure the pump is capable of handling the flow rate and pressure needed for the mixing process.