1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital Angular Momentum

1. Mar 13, 2007 #1
    Awesome forum here!

I'm stuck on a homework problem and need some guidance.

A H-atom exists in a 3px state. What would be the result of measuring the total orbital angular momentum of this state (e.g. 100 measurements)?

I assume when they say 100 measurements that they mean the expectation value? If so there is now the problem of which wavefunction to use as a 3px state has three due to m = -1, 0, +1. I remember something about how orbitals in the same subshell can be combined but I can't find it in my notes and I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for.

Anyways, even if I just choose one randomly, finding ∫Ψ*L^2Ψdτ is a huge task.

Am I just going about this all wrong?

Thanks,
    Ashley

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is a 3px state ? What quantum numbers does it have ?

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    n = 3
    l = 1
    m = -1, 0, +1

I'm starting to think this is more of a thinking question than a calculation question. If 3p-1 and 3p+1 give one value and 3p0 gives 0 then over 100 measurements the average value would be 0. Does this sound logical?

Ashley

5. Mar 14, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as i know, the p_x orbital has a definite value of "m_l". So your last answer is wrong.

6. Mar 14, 2007 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It wouldn't matter if the eigenvalues of L^2 don't depend on m. So do they?

Doing the integral looks like a fun exercise, but it's not necessary. What is L^2Ψ? (Hint: H and L^2 commute for the H-atom).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?