Why Does the Minimum Radius of Curvature Occur at the Apex in Parabolic Motion?

In summary, the problem involves a projectile in a uniform gravitational field with initial location and velocity. The goal is to find the minimum value of the radius of curvature at the apex of the parabolic trajectory, which is equal to (v_0x)^2/g. The student has set up equations and is attempting to find the equation for the parabolic trajectory and the radius of curvature.
F.Turner

Homework Statement

A projectile in uniform gravitational field g=-g*j[tex]\hat{}[/tex] with initial location x(t=0)=[tex]_{}x[/tex]o, y(0)=[tex]_{}y[/tex]o show explicitly that the minimum value of radius of curvature [tex]\partial[/tex] of the resulting parabolic trajectory occurs at the apex and equal to ([tex]^{}v[/tex]ox)^2/g

Homework Equations

Dynamic vector kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have set up two equations that i believe I will need but still I'm stuck i am not to sure if the route I'm taking is correct. Would like to know what should be the initial setup for this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing an equation y(x) giving the parabolic trajectory.

Okay, I think I'm heading in the right direction now, I am trying to evaluate the radius of curvature as a function of position from there i will attempt to...not sure yet

1. What is orbital mechanics?

Orbital mechanics is the study of the motion of objects in space, particularly how they move in relation to each other and their surroundings.

2. What are the main factors that affect an object's orbit?

The main factors that affect an object's orbit are its mass, velocity, and the gravitational pull of other objects such as planets or moons.

3. How do scientists calculate an object's trajectory in space?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to calculate an object's trajectory in space.

4. What is the difference between a stable and an unstable orbit?

A stable orbit is one in which an object can maintain a constant distance and direction from the object it is orbiting. An unstable orbit is one in which the object's trajectory is constantly changing and may eventually result in the object leaving its orbit.

5. How do orbital mechanics play a role in space exploration and satellite technology?

Orbital mechanics is crucial in space exploration and satellite technology as it allows scientists to accurately plan and execute missions, predict the movements of objects in space, and maintain the stability of satellites in orbit.