Orbital Momentum: Equal or Variable?

In summary: The distance between the two mutually orbiting bodies is a vector that has the magnitude of r and the direction of r is from M1 to M2.
dean barry
I know that a two body stable circular orbit has each body with equal momentum, but in the case of an elliptical orbit, if you ignore the orbit motion the two bodies reciprocate back and forth relative to each other, does this variable linear momentum rob from the circular momentum ? or is it a separate issue ?
I only attend this site for an hour or so every Saturday, and there is no hurry for an answer, thanks in advance
Dean

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Separate. Angular momentum is conserved in an elliptical orbit also. If you think about it, the net momentum of the "in and out" component for the system is zero, as each body's momentum towards or away from the barycenter is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the other's. Thus it has no effect on the total momentum of the orbiting system.

I feel rather stupid, but I am unable to develop the equations that show that two unequal masses in circular orbits about their center of mass have the same angular momentum. Maybe I am misinterpreting what this means. I am assuming that the angular momentums being compared are with respect to the center of mass.

I looked at two Wikipedia articles, but did not find them helpful:
I would appreciate either a citation to a useful article, or even a hint or two.

Buzz Bloom said:
I feel rather stupid, but I am unable to develop the equations that show that two unequal masses in circular orbits about their center of mass have the same angular momentum. Maybe I am misinterpreting what this means. I am assuming that the angular momentums being compared are with respect to the center of mass.

I looked at two Wikipedia articles, but did not find them helpful:
I would appreciate either a citation to a useful article, or even a hint or two.
The article on the Two-Body problem is the more apt here.

The section titled "Two-body motion is planar" discusses how the linear and angular momenta relate to one another and that the angular momentum is constant, or conserved.

SteamKing said:
The article on the Two-Body problem is the more apt here.
Hi SteamKing:

Thanks for your post.

The following is from the Two-Body problem article, "Two-body motion is planar" section:
The motion of two bodies with respect to each other always lies in a plane (in the center of mass frame). Defining the linear momentum p and the angular momentum L by the equations (where μ is the reduced mass).
Eq-2body.png
The vector r is not defined. Is it the distance between the two masses, or is it the distance from the center of mass to one or the other of the two masses?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi SteamKing:

Thanks for your post.

The following is from the Two-Body problem article, "Two-body motion is planar" section:
The motion of two bodies with respect to each other always lies in a plane (in the center of mass frame). Defining the linear momentum p and the angular momentum L by the equations (where μ is the reduced mass).
The vector r is not defined. Is it the distance between the two masses, or is it the distance from the center of mass to one or the other of the two masses?

Regards,
Buzz
If we take the center of mass of the two bodies M1 and M2 as the reference point, then the location of the c.o.m. of M1 is r1 and the location of the c.o.m. of M2 is r2. The vector r = r2 - r1.

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Two-BodyProblem.html

SteamKing said:
If we take the center of mass of the two bodies M1 and M2 as the reference point, then the location of the c.o.m. of M1 is r1 and the location of the c.o.m. of M2 is r2. The vector r = r2 - r1.
Hi SteamKing:

Thanks you very much your prompt reply to my question, and especially for the cited science world page. I still have some confusion, but I will try to sort it out before asking more questions.

Just to make sure I am understanding the obvious correctly:
The distance between the two mutually orbiting bodies is
timg353.gif
Since the two masses are always on a straight line that includes their c.o.m, a = |r|, and the direction of r is from M1 to M2. Is this correct?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi SteamKing:

Thanks you very much your prompt reply to my question, and especially for the cited science world page. I still have some confusion, but I will try to sort it out before asking more questions.

Just to make sure I am understanding the obvious correctly:
The distance between the two mutually orbiting bodies is
timg353.gif
Since the two masses are always on a straight line that includes their c.o.m, a = |r|, and the direction of r is from M1 to M2. Is this correct?

Regards,
Buzz
I believe you have this correct.

SteamKing said:
I believe you have this correct.
Hi SteamKing:

Thanks for your quick response confirming:
a = |r|, and the direction of r is from M1 to M2.​

I learned about this stuff a very long time ago, so I may be mis-remembering what I think I know.

The reference frame in which all these vector equations are written seem to me to not be inertial. That is because both ends of the vector r are rotating, and the angular momentum is relative to an origin M1, which is revolving about the fixed c.o.m., i.e., accelerating relative the c.o.m. I seem to vaguely remember that this situation requires an adjustment in order to correct for the rotating frame of reference. Also, when I directly calculate the angular momentum relative to the c.o.m separately for each of the two masses, I get a different answer.

Can you help me find some reference that explains this?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi SteamKing:

Thanks for your quick response confirming:
a = |r|, and the direction of r is from M1 to M2.​

I learned about this stuff a very long time ago, so I may be mis-remembering what I think I know.

The reference frame in which all these vector equations are written seem to me to not be inertial. That is because both ends of the vector r are rotating, and the angular momentum is relative to an origin M1, which is revolving about the fixed c.o.m., i.e., accelerating relative the c.o.m. I seem to vaguely remember that this situation requires an adjustment in order to correct for the rotating frame of reference. Also, when I directly calculate the angular momentum relative to the c.o.m separately for each of the two masses, I get a different answer.

Can you help me find some reference that explains this?

Regards,
Buzz
I can't comment on your calculations since they are not presented.

This article:
http://web.mit.edu/8.01t/www/materials/modules/guide17.pdf

gives a more in-depth description of the two-body problem, especially its derivation. Sections 17.4 and 17.5 seem especially relevant here.

Hi SteamKing:

Thanks for your post, especially the citation.

Here is the relevant equation (17.3.14) for the angular momentum L from your cited paper:
eq-ang-mom.PNG

This is the same as the result I calculated for the two body angular momentum using circular orbits. Note that r0
"is a constant (known as the semilatus rectum)"​
(semimajor axis in English). For a circular orbit, r0 is the radius.

Therefore, the angular momentum for each circular orbit is proportional to the square root of its radius.

From the original post #1,
"I know that a two body stable circular orbit has each body with equal momentum".​

For unequal masses, the two respective values for angular momentum of the the two masses will NOT be equal.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
thanks all, can i assume janus is correct ? system momentum doesn't vary, individual body angular rotation rate is related directly to its position from the barycentre at any given time ?

Buzz Bloom said:
This is the same as the result I calculated for the two body angular momentum using circular orbits. Note that r0
"is a constant (known as the semilatus rectum)"(semimajor axis in English). For a circular orbit, r0 is the radius.
Hi dean:

I made a mistake in my post #11. I just discovered that the semilatus rectum is not the same as the semimajor axis.
The following equation relates r and ϑ for motion relative the center of mass.
elipse.png

The semilatus rectum is the radius r when the angle ϑ = π/2. I will have to do some work to understand what the means w/r/t the angular momentum.

Regards,
Buzz

Thanks for your attention all, I will chew on what I have and see if it goes anywhere
Thanks again
Dean

Amusing but perhaps off-topic, my apologies

Newton was trying to use circular orbits and couldn't get the math to work out. He was using the Sumerian measurement of one Saru { 3600 ] to estimate the Earth's attraction at the moon's distance as less than the attraction at her own surface at the ratio of 1 / 3600 , this measurement was used in ancient metrology to calculate astronomical cycles

He gave up working on the problem and it wasn't until Hooke sent him a letter stating that the force that varied at the inverse of the square of the distance having an eliptic orbit with the center of force in one of the focii

Hooke sent this statement to Newton with no proof or further explanation

Buzz Bloom said:
The semilatus rectum is the radius r when the angle ϑ = π/2. I will have to do some work to understand what the means w/r/t the angular momentum.
For a circular orbit, the semilatus rectum is the same as the radius. I should have seen this immediately, so I will just blame it on another senior moment.

1. What is orbital momentum?

Orbital momentum refers to the rotational motion of an object around a central point, such as a planet orbiting around a star. It is a measure of the object's angular velocity and its distance from the central point.

2. Is orbital momentum always equal?

No, orbital momentum can vary depending on the speed and distance of the object from the central point. Objects with smaller orbits and higher speeds have higher orbital momentum, while objects with larger orbits and slower speeds have lower orbital momentum.

3. How is orbital momentum related to Kepler's laws?

Kepler's laws describe the motion of objects in orbit around a central point. The second law states that the rate at which an object sweeps out equal areas in equal times is constant, which is a result of the conservation of orbital momentum.

4. What is the significance of equal or variable orbital momentum?

The concept of equal or variable orbital momentum is important in understanding the behavior of objects in orbit and predicting their trajectories. It also plays a role in our understanding of celestial mechanics and the formation of planetary systems.

5. How is orbital momentum calculated?

The orbital momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity and its distance from the central point (L = mvr). This value remains constant unless there is an external force acting on the object, such as gravity.