What is the Orbital Period of Eris, the Tenth Planet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the orbital period of Eris, also known as the tenth planet, using its semimajor axis and eccentricity. The suggested formula for this calculation is P^2=4pie^2)/G(m1+m2)) (a1+a2)^3, taking into account the fact that the period does not depend on the eccentricity according to Kepler's third law.
leonne

Homework Statement

We will compute the orbit of Eris, the infamous \tenth planet" that caused Pluto
to be demoted to \dwarf planet" status. Eris (also called 2003 UB313 in the
textbook) has a semimajor axis a = 68:048 AU and eccentricity e = 0:4336 based
on the best current observations. Calculate the orbital period P of Eris (in years).

Homework Equations

P^2=4pie^2)/G(m1+m2)) (a1+a2)^3

The Attempt at a Solution

would i just use this formula? I know it would work but not sure if i am suppose to use something else cause i was given eccentricity, but could not find any formula that uses it to find orbital period

Physics news on Phys.org
The period does not depend on the eccentricity (kepler's third law).

yea i figured that out thxs, eccentricity was for the other part of the problem

1. What is the orbital period of a planet?

The orbital period of a planet is the amount of time it takes for the planet to complete one orbit around its parent star. It is measured in Earth years and can vary greatly depending on the size and distance of the planet from its star.

2. How is the orbital period of a planet calculated?

The orbital period of a planet can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This law applies to planets orbiting any star, not just our own sun.

3. Is the orbital period of a planet the same as its rotation period?

No, the orbital period of a planet refers to its motion around its parent star, while the rotation period refers to the planet's own spin on its axis. These two periods can vary greatly depending on the planet's size, distance from its star, and other factors.

4. How does the orbital period of a planet affect its climate?

The orbital period of a planet can have a significant impact on its climate. A longer orbital period, like that of Mars, can result in more extreme seasonal changes, while a shorter orbital period, like that of Mercury, can result in a more constant temperature throughout the year.

5. Can the orbital period of a planet change?

Yes, the orbital period of a planet can change over time due to a variety of factors, such as interactions with other planets, changes in the planet's orbit around its star, and external forces like gravity from passing objects. However, these changes are usually very small and occur over long periods of time.