Orbital Velocity Homework: Find Velocity of Geostationary Satellite

In summary, the conversation is about finding the orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite, which requires a distance of 35,900 km above Earth's surface. The suggested method involves equating the expressions for centripetal force and gravitational force and solving for velocity, using the given radius and period. The mass of the satellite is not needed as it cancels out in the equation.
zeion

Homework Statement

Basically says that a geostationary satellite requires a distance of 35 900 km above Earth's surface. I need to find its orbital velocity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the circumference of the orbit = 225566.3525km then change units to m/s but the answer is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational force between the satellite and the Earth is proving the centripetal force of the satellite. From the equation for centripetal force you have velocity.

But I'm not given the mass of the satellite

zeion said:
But I'm not given the mass of the satellite

When you equate the two, the mass of the satellite cancels out.

Do I need to use the angular velocity?

zeion said:
Do I need to use the angular velocity?

No, I believe that they are asking you for the linear velocity which is the 'v' in the expression for centripetal force.

So I need to use centripetal acceleration?

zeion said:
So I need to use centripetal acceleration?

Essentially yes.

How do I calculate that? I only have the radius and the period.

zeion said:
How do I calculate that? I only have the radius and the period.

Do you know the expressions for centripetal force and gravitational force?

F = (mv^2) / r ?

zeion said:
F = (mv^2) / r ?

then put that equal to the expression for gravitational force and find 'v'.

Is that F = ma?

zeion said:
Is that F = ma?

No you should know that F=GMm/r2 where 'r' is the distance between the Earth and the satellite.

Related to Orbital Velocity Homework: Find Velocity of Geostationary Satellite

1. What is orbital velocity and why is it important for geostationary satellites?

Orbital velocity is the speed at which an object must travel in order to maintain a stable orbit around a larger body, such as a planet. For geostationary satellites, it is important to maintain a specific orbital velocity in order to remain in a fixed position over a specific location on Earth.

2. How is the orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite calculated?

The orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body (in this case, the Earth), and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth.

3. What is the typical orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite?

The typical orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite is 3.07 km/s (6,876 mph) at an altitude of 35,786 km (22,236 miles) above the Earth's surface.

4. How does the mass of the Earth affect the orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite?

The mass of the Earth has a direct impact on the orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite. The more massive the Earth, the higher the required orbital velocity for the satellite to maintain a stable orbit.

5. Can the orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite change over time?

Yes, the orbital velocity of a geostationary satellite can change over time due to factors such as atmospheric drag and gravitational interactions with other bodies in space. However, engineers can make adjustments to the satellite's orbit to maintain the desired orbital velocity.