Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbiting photon

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    can a photon have a perfectly smooth orbit?

say for e.g. you have a photon orbiting a point, if its wavelength were to become twice the diameter of its orbit then would the wave not become a replica of the orbit offset by the amplitude?

similarly say the amplitude is the radius of the orbit and the wavelength is the diameter would the wave not travel in a straight line through the centre?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Photon orbits require black holes, otherwise their deflection is not strong enough. I don't think those orbits are stable, but I would have to check. If the orbits are unstable, you don't have to worry about interference - the photon will not live long enough anyway. If the orbits are stable, photons might be long-living for specific frequencies only.
    The amplitude of a photon is not a displacement or length in space.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Isn't its displacement in space the principal through which polorization works?

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No, it is the direction of the electric field. This is NOT a line in space (but some images are misleading, as they plot it like that), the direction is defined at every point in space.

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup, photon orbits around black holes are unstable.

7. Apr 12, 2013 #6

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

My intuition is that you cannot get stable photonic modes around a singularity due to diffraction of the photonic wavefunction.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook