Proving the Orbits and Partitions Problem in Group Permutations

In summary, the problem is that the author is trying to prove that if there exists a permutation sending K to K'' and a permutation that sends a K' to K then the composition must send K' to K''. However, this is easily shown to be the case by simply showing that the orbits cover (every element is in some orbit) and are disjoint (trivial as well, because if you ask me).
moo5003
Problem:

"Let G be a group of permutations of a set S. Prove that the orbits of the members of S constitute a partition of S."

I'm a little hazy on how to start this proof. I started by writing down the definition of the Orbit of any element in S. I'm guessing, so correct me if I'm wrong that the proof should be followed by the definition of a partition and I then prove using the definition of an orbit that it fufills all parts of the definition. Or is there some type of theorem that I should spring board off of that correlates the topics.

PS: I was trying to useLagranges Theorem but that is for finite groups only, is there some other theroem I should be looking at?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little hazy on how to start this proof. I started by writing down the definition of the Orbit of any element in S. I'm guessing, so correct me if I'm wrong that the proof should be followed by the definition of a partition and I then prove using the definition of an orbit that it fufills all parts of the definition.
Definitions are never a bad place to start!

Hurkyl said:
Definitions are never a bad place to start!

My book lacks a clean cut definition for partitions it seems. Is there one that you could possibly link me too? Otherwise I will just have to use my own interpretation of what a partition is which may end up being much bigger and more general then what is usually found in written definition.

I'm still a little unclear in begenning this proof. Can anyone provide some more direction for me?

Well I've been working on it with little avail.

Orb(K) = { FI(K) : FI in G }
Partition: Collection of non-empty disjoint subsets of S whose union is S.

Work: Since G is a group of permutations there is a FI such that FI(K) = K
and therefore all orbits are non empty.

Now I'm trying to show that if any orbits map a k to a k' then that k' has an orbit = to k's orbit. I'm just not sure how to show this.

Thus far I've tried showing that if there exists a fi(K) = K' then there must exist a FI inverse such that FI^-1(K') = K.

The problem I run into when I approach it this way is that if the orbit of K includes K, K', and another K''. Then I'm unsure how to show that the orbit of K' must then include K''.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*NVM* if there exists a permutation sending K to K'' and a permutation that sends a K' to K then the composition must send K' to K''.

A confirmation of this type of proof would be good. I'm unsure if this is a confusing way to approach the problem.

But all you need to show is that the orbits cover (trivial, every element is in some orbit) and are disjoint (trivial as well, if you ask me) and that's it, since that is the definition of partition.

'Being in the same orbit' is clearly an equivalence relation since groups have inverses, identities, and composition is associative, so it trivially is a partition (a partition obviously being equivalent to the classes of an equivalence relation)

Last edited:

What is the Orbits and Partitions Problem in Group Permutations?

The Orbits and Partitions Problem in Group Permutations is a mathematical problem that involves finding the number of ways a set of objects can be partitioned into smaller subsets, and the number of possible arrangements within each subset. This problem has applications in various fields, including cryptography and group theory.

Why is proving this problem important?

Proving the Orbits and Partitions Problem in Group Permutations is important because it helps in understanding the fundamental principles of group theory and combinatorics. It also has applications in coding theory and cryptography, as it helps in analyzing the security of certain encryption algorithms.

What are some approaches to proving this problem?

There are several approaches to proving the Orbits and Partitions Problem in Group Permutations. One approach is through the use of generating functions, which involves representing the problem as a polynomial and using algebraic techniques to prove it. Another approach is through the use of combinatorial arguments, which involves using counting techniques to prove the problem.

What are some challenges in proving this problem?

One of the main challenges in proving the Orbits and Partitions Problem in Group Permutations is the complexity of the problem. The problem involves a large number of possible arrangements and partitions, making it difficult to find a general proof that applies to all cases. Additionally, the problem also involves a combination of algebraic and combinatorial concepts, which can be challenging to work with.

What are some real-world applications of this problem?

The Orbits and Partitions Problem in Group Permutations has several real-world applications, particularly in the fields of coding theory and cryptography. It is used in analyzing the security of certain encryption algorithms, such as the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). It also has applications in permutation-based hashing, error-correcting codes, and secret sharing schemes.