Order of Operations, Lorentz Transformations & Superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the order of operations for calculating the electric field in the (far) radiation zone using the Lorentz transformation of fields and the superposition of fields. One person's approach involved first transforming the electric potential field from each electron's rest frame to the lab frame, then adding the two fields together via superposition, and finally calculating the electric field for the (far) radiation zone. They question if there is something fundamentally wrong with this approach. The other person suggests that the two methods should eventually yield the same result, but it is important to see the calculations to determine the importance of the order of operations.
univox360
I am wondering about the order of operations concerning the Lorentz transformation of fields and the superposition of fields.

I was given a problem:

Two positively charged electrons start at the origin and then travel along the x-axis at a constant speed v in opposite directions. Calculate the electric field in the (far) radiation zone.

My approach was to first transform the electric potential field from each electron's rest frame to the lab frame. Then, in the lab frame I added the two fields together via superposition. Afterward, I calculated the electric field making approximations for the (far) radiation zone.

Is there something fundamentally wrong with this approach? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
univox360 said:
I am wondering about the order of operations concerning the Lorentz transformation of fields and the superposition of fields.

I was given a problem:

Two positively charged electrons start at the origin and then travel along the x-axis at a constant speed v in opposite directions. Calculate the electric field in the (far) radiation zone.

My approach was to first transform the electric potential field from each electron's rest frame to the lab frame. Then, in the lab frame I added the two fields together via superposition. Afterward, I calculated the electric field making approximations for the (far) radiation zone.

Is there something fundamentally wrong with this approach? Why?
[tex] E= \frac {Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}* \frac {1- \beta^2}{(1- \beta^2 sin^2 \theta) ^{3/2}} [/tex]

where
[tex] \beta = v/c} [/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle formed between the observer-charge axis and the direction of charge motion (the x-axis in your case).

So:

[tex] E_1= \frac {Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_1^2}* \frac {1- \beta_1^2}{(1- \beta_1^2 sin^2 \theta_1) ^{3/2}} [/tex][tex] E_2= \frac {Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_2^2}* \frac {1- \beta_2^2}{(1- \beta_2^2 sin^2 \theta_2) ^{3/2}} [/tex]

Now:

[tex]\beta_1=v/c=-\beta_2[/tex]So:

[tex] E_1= \frac {Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_1^2}* \frac {1- \beta^2}{(1- \beta^2 sin^2 \theta_1) ^{3/2}} [/tex][tex] E_2= \frac {Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_2^2}* \frac {1- \beta^2}{(1- \beta^2 sin^2 \theta_2) ^{3/2}} [/tex]

Add the two together and you get your result. Is this what you got?

Last edited:
I transformed the 4-vector potential due to both charges, not the electric field directly.

univox360 said:
I transformed the 4-vector potential due to both charges, not the electric field directly.

You should be getting the same answer.

Well, yes they must eventually come to the same answer. But I am more concerned with whether or not the order of operations is important.

univox360 said:
Well, yes they must eventually come to the same answer. But I am more concerned with whether or not the order of operations is important.

Can't tell without seeing your calcs. Post them and we'll talk.

1. What is the Order of Operations?

The Order of Operations is a set of rules that determines the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed. The acronym PEMDAS is often used to remember the order, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

2. What are Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are a set of equations in physics that describe how time, space, and mass are affected by the theory of special relativity. These equations were developed by Hendrik Lorentz and Albert Einstein in the early 20th century.

3. How do Lorentz Transformations relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Lorentz Transformations are a crucial component of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which explains how time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference and how they can be affected by high speeds. These equations help to reconcile discrepancies between classical mechanics and electromagnetism, and have been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

4. What is Superposition in physics?

Superposition in physics refers to the principle that states when two or more waves or fields overlap, the resulting wave or field is the sum of the individual waves or fields. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of waves and fields, such as light, sound, and electromagnetic radiation.

5. How is Superposition used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Superposition is a fundamental concept that describes the ability of quantum objects, such as particles and waves, to exist in multiple states at the same time. This principle is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and has led to the development of technologies such as quantum computing.