What is the Order of Precipitating Anions in a Solution with Pb^2+?

• Thread starter steckona
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking about the order in which anions will be precipitated when a soluble form of Pb^2+ is added to a solution. The solution is sequentially precipitated and separated into PbSO4, PbI2, and PbCO3, with PbCO3 being the least soluble. The order of precipitation is CO3^-2, I-, and SO4^-2.
steckona
This question is from a practice MCAT and I am very confused about the logic in the answer they provide. I would really appreciate any help.

Question:
" A soluble form of Pb^2+ can be carefully added to a solution to sequentially precipitate and separate anions present in the solution. When Pb^2+ is added, in which order will the following anions be precipitated?"

Ans:
"The reactions described in the passage show that lead (II) is successively precipitated as PbSO4, PbI2, and PbCO3. This sequence shows (assuming equal anion concentrations, as must be done here) that PbCO3 is less soluble than PbI2 and PbI2 is less soluble than PbSO4. The order in which the anions precipitate Pb^2+ is: CO3^-2 then I- then SO4^-2"

- I see that PbCO3 must be the least soluble because it precipitates last but then how does it precipitate Pb^2+ first?

Thank-you so much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Pb+2= lead (II)

(lots of )Pb+2 + (some)CO3-2 -----> (some)PbCO3(s) + (lots of - some )Pb+2 still in solution

1. What is the order of precipitating anions?

The order of precipitating anions refers to the sequence in which different anions (negatively charged ions) will form precipitates (solids) when mixed with a specific cation (positively charged ion).

2. How is the order of precipitating anions determined?

The order of precipitating anions is determined by conducting a series of qualitative tests, such as adding a specific cation to solutions containing different anions and observing which anions form precipitates first.

3. What factors affect the order of precipitating anions?

The order of precipitating anions can be influenced by a variety of factors such as the solubility of the anions, the concentration of the anions and cations, and the pH of the solution.

4. Why is knowing the order of precipitating anions important?

Understanding the order of precipitating anions is important in analytical chemistry as it allows scientists to identify and separate different anions in a solution. This information is also useful in various industrial processes, such as water treatment and mineral extraction.

5. Can the order of precipitating anions change?

Yes, the order of precipitating anions can change depending on the conditions of the solution. For example, a change in pH or the addition of another cation can alter the order in which anions precipitate.