Order or Grassmann, vector fields and tensors

In summary, Grassmann numbers are not just matrices. They can also be represented by matrices, but they are more convenient to think of as numbers. When representing them by matrices, you need to write the appropriate indices on them first. Then you can move them around.
marir
Hello.
There is one thing I can not find the answer to, so I try here.
For instance, writing a general superfield on component form, one of the terms appearing is:
[itex] \theta \sigma^\mu \bar{\theta} V_\mu [/itex]

My question is if one could have written this as
[itex] \theta \bar{\theta} \sigma^\mu V_\mu [/itex] ?

This might be a silly question, but anyway. Is there in any case a reason why one writes it in the first way? I think it looks cleaner if one collects the Grassmann numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on what the constituents of your expression are. You should always specify your notation and not just assume that everyone will understand it wothout further explanation.

Regardless, I am going to attempt a guess: ##\theta## and ##\bar\theta## being Weyl fermion fields and ##\sigma## a Pauli matrix, the second structure you propose does not make any sense. The first structure has the structure row vector - square matrix - column vector and is therefore a scalar, while your suggestion is row vector - column vector - square matrix. If you want to change the order, you will have to write out the indices of the matrix multiplication explicitly.

OK, sorry for the spare comments on my notation. [itex]\theta \bar{\theta}[/itex] are Grassmann numbers, and I think this is where my confusion is. They are anticommuting c-numbers, so in my head I am thinking it is irrelevant where I put them in my expression as long as the order among them is the same. Of course (like everything else), they can be represented by matrices, but people tell me to think of them as numbers, so that is what I try to do, and therefore I am having a hard time justifying why their placement is so important? If I must think the Grassmann numbers are matrices, then I get it. But then it is confusing having people telling me they are "just numbers".
Furter, we have [itex] \sigma^\mu = (1,\vec{\sigma})[/itex], where [itex] \vec{\sigma}[/itex] are the ordinary Pauli matrices. Finally, [itex]V_\mu [/itex] is a Lorentz 4-vector.

Grassman numbers are not just matrices. But just as you can have a matrix containing ordinary numbers, you can have a matrix containing Grassman numbers. This is the case for Weyl fermion fields, they are not just Grassman numbers, but spinors containing Grassman numbers.

marir said:
Hello.
There is one thing I can not find the answer to, so I try here.
For instance, writing a general superfield on component form, one of the terms appearing is:
[itex] \theta \sigma^\mu \bar{\theta} V_\mu [/itex]

My question is if one could have written this as
[itex] \theta \bar{\theta} \sigma^\mu V_\mu [/itex] ?

This might be a silly question, but anyway. Is there in any case a reason why one writes it in the first way? I think it looks cleaner if one collects the Grassmann numbers.

Put the appropriate indices on them first, then you can move them around. [tex]\theta^{\alpha} \ (\sigma^{\mu})_{\alpha \dot{\alpha}} \ \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}} \ V_{\mu} = \theta^{\alpha} \ \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}} \ (\sigma^{\mu}V_{\mu})_{\alpha \dot{\alpha}} = \mathbb{V}_{\alpha \dot{\alpha}} \ \theta^{\alpha}\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}} .[/tex] Notice that [itex]\chi \ \theta[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\chi} \ \bar{\theta}[/itex] are convenient ways to write the scalar products [tex]\chi \ \theta \equiv \chi^{\alpha} \ \theta_{\alpha} ,[/tex] [tex]\bar{\chi} \ \bar{\theta} \equiv \bar{\chi}_{\dot{\alpha}} \ \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}} .[/tex] However, you cannot pair [itex]\theta[/itex] with [itex]\bar{\chi}[/itex] to form a scalar (they belong to different representation space, i.e., carry different indices) so you need the soldering matrices [itex]\sigma_{\mu}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\sigma}_{\mu}[/itex] to pair them together. [tex]\theta \ \sigma^{\mu} \ \bar{\chi} \equiv (\sigma^{\mu})_{\alpha \dot{\alpha}} \ \theta^{\alpha}\ \bar{\chi}^{\dot{\alpha}} ,[/tex] [tex]\bar{\chi} \ \bar{\sigma}^{\mu} \ \theta \equiv \bar{\chi}_{\dot{\alpha}} \ (\bar{\sigma})^{\dot{\alpha}\alpha} \ \theta_{\alpha} .[/tex]
Notice the consistency of following identities [tex]\theta \ \chi = \chi \ \theta , \ \ \ \ \bar{\chi} \ \bar{\theta} = \bar{\theta} \ \bar{\chi} , \ \ \ \ \theta \ \sigma_{\mu} \ \bar{\chi} = - \bar{\chi} \ \bar{\sigma}_{\mu} \ \theta ,[/tex] with the Grassmannian nature of the spinor components [tex]\theta_{\alpha} \ \chi_{\beta} = - \chi_{\beta} \ \theta_{\alpha} , \ \ \ \bar{\chi}_{\dot{\alpha}} \ \bar{\theta}_{\dot{\beta}} = - \bar{\theta}_{\dot{\beta}} \ \bar{\chi}_{\dot{\alpha}} , \ \ \ \theta_{\alpha} \ \bar{\chi}_{\dot{\beta}} = - \bar{\chi}_{\dot{\beta}} \ \theta_{\alpha} .[/tex]

Likes JorisL
Thank you so much, this explained alot. I have a confusion going on about may things, but at least some pieces fell in place now.

1. What is the difference between a Grassmann field and a vector field?

A Grassmann field is a mathematical object that represents a collection of vectors in a particular space. It is a generalization of a vector field, which only represents a collection of vectors in a vector space. The key difference is that a Grassmann field can include vectors from different vector spaces, while a vector field is limited to a single vector space.

2. How are tensors related to vector fields?

Tensors are mathematical objects that can represent both scalars and vectors. In the context of vector fields, tensors can be used to describe the relationship between different vector fields. For example, a tensor can be used to describe how a vector field changes as it moves along a particular direction.

3. What is the order of a tensor?

The order of a tensor refers to the number of indices needed to represent it. For example, a scalar has an order of 0, a vector has an order of 1, and a tensor of order 2 has two indices. The order of a tensor determines how many components it has and how it transforms under different coordinate systems.

4. How are vector fields and tensors used in physics?

Vector fields and tensors are essential tools in physics because they allow us to represent and analyze physical quantities that vary in space and time. For example, in fluid mechanics, vector fields are used to describe the velocity and flow of a fluid, while tensors can represent the stress and strain in a solid material.

5. Are there any applications of Grassmann fields?

Grassmann fields have applications in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as differential geometry, quantum mechanics, and string theory. They are particularly useful in describing symmetries and transformations in these areas and have led to important developments in the understanding of these fields.