Ordered Pair Solutions for a2 + 2ab + b2 = a + 4b | Non-Negative Integers

• Thread starter The legend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary, the equation (a+b)2 = a + 4b can be rewritten as a quadratic equation in a with parameter b. To find all ordered pairs (x,y) of non-negative integers, we can use the quadratic formula to solve for a and then check which values of b make a non-negative integer. By considering the growth rates of the quadratic and linear equations, we can limit the values of b to check up to a+b=4.
The legend

Homework Statement

Find all ordered pair (x,y) of non negative integers satisfying
a2 + 2ab + b2 = a + 4b

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

(a+b)2 = a + 4b
or
a(a-1) + b(b-4) + 2ab = 0

obviously (0,0) satisfies the equation. What about the rest?
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of this as [itex]a^2+ 2ab+ b^2- a- 4b= a^2+ (2b-1)a+ (b^2- 4b)= 0[/itex] and treat it as a quadratic equation in a with parameter b.

By the quadratic formula,
[tex]a= \frac{1- 2b\pm\sqrt{(2b-1)^2- 4(b^2-4b)}}{2}= \frac{1- 2b\pm\sqrt{12b+ 1}}{2}[/tex].

In order that a be a non-negative integer, it certainly must be rational which means that 12b+ 1 must be a perfect square. Writing [itex]12b+ 1= n^2[/itex] we must have [itex]12b= n^2- 1= (n- 1)(n+ 1)[/itex]. Look at values of n such that [itex]n^2- 1[/itex] is a multiple of 12.

oh! thanks ... i got the answer solving! :smile:
Thanks again:approve:

You can also try this:
If we consider the left side as being (a+b)2 then we know that any quadratic grows faster than a linear equation, a+4b so we can try and find at which point the quadratic will beat the linear equation and thus test all solutions under that certain point.

Since on the right hand side, 4b is greater than a (for the same integer values) any values other than a=0 would make the quadratic grow faster than the linear equation's fastest possible growth, so we just need to consider a=0.

So, b2=4b, is what we have reduced it to.
Now we have to find where (b+1)2>4(b+1)

b2+2b+1>4b+4
b2-2b-3>0
(b+1)(b-3)>0
thus b>3

Which means that b=4 would be the highest possible value that we should check. Thus from this point on we just check the solutions (a,b) up to a+b=4.

Now I might have broken some rules here, because I was just going off my intuition so yeah please correct me if I'm wrong or have made a false assumption anywhere.

ok...:confused:
but wasn't the assumption made on a=0?

Not in that way, I was assuming a=0 to find the maximum possible value of the linear equation a+4b, compared to the quadratic (a+b)2. For b=4 this is the maximum since using any other values for a in a+b=4 will yield a lower number in the linear equation a+4b.

Yeah.. just trying to get my thoughts into writing here...

Right!
Now i get it!
:smile:Thanks a lot!:smile:

No problem :smile:

Related to Ordered Pair Solutions for a2 + 2ab + b2 = a + 4b | Non-Negative Integers

1. What is an ordered pair solution?

An ordered pair solution is a set of two numbers that are used to represent a point on a coordinate plane. The first number in the pair is the x-coordinate and the second number is the y-coordinate.

2. How do you graph an ordered pair solution?

To graph an ordered pair solution, plot the first number on the x-axis and the second number on the y-axis. Then, connect the two points to create a line.

3. How do I know if an ordered pair is a solution to an equation?

To check if an ordered pair is a solution to an equation, substitute the x and y values into the equation. If the equation is true, then the ordered pair is a solution.

4. Can an ordered pair have the same number for both the x and y coordinates?

Yes, an ordered pair can have the same number for both the x and y coordinates. This means that the point is located on the diagonal line that goes through the origin (0,0).

5. Can an equation have more than one ordered pair solution?

Yes, an equation can have multiple ordered pair solutions. This means that there are multiple points on the coordinate plane that satisfy the given equation.