Ordinary/Partial Diff Eq books? And any introductions to Green's functions?

In summary, the individual is looking for a book to learn more about differential equations, specifically with a focus on Green's functions. They have already taken a class on ODEs and have used them in physics classes, but are now looking for further resources. They have been suggested Tenenbaum and Braun, but are open to other recommendations. They are also looking for resources on Green's functions, with suggestions including Lebovitz, Boas, and Strauss.
MissSilvy
I took a class on ODEs and have used them in my physics classes fairly often, but I would like a book that I could go back and learn more about differential equations. Tenenbaum and Braun have been suggested but there are quite a lot of books out there, searching has

The second part is that I have an eye on eventually working up to Green's functions (before I get smashed by Jackson's Electrodynamics) and would like a book (or a few) that can get me from my current level of knowledge to there. Despite searching and talking to people that have done Jackson, I can't even seem to figure out what prior knowledge Green's functions even require. Any resources at all would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what you want to learn about ODE's, if it's the theory behind it then all I can suggest is Lebovitz's book (my only real exposure). On the plus side, it's free and he updates it as he teaches. He's also a pretty fantastic teacher in my opinion. If you want pure application then basically take your pick. Boas has a decent enough set of sections on them, while for plug and chug problems you could take "Polking, Boggess and Arnold, Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problems, second edition, Pearson Prentice-Hall". Both these books have solutions manuals easily available online.

Now, about Green's Functions. Boas has, again in my opinion, a very sloppy introduction to the topic in her book and it is certainly not at the level of Jackson. But if you already own Boas it can't hurt to flip through. I've heard Weber is decent, but I've never used it. If you want the actual math theory behind Green's Functions (as Integral Kernel and whatnot) then I got my introduction from Strauss. If you're not familiar with math proofs then Strauss' intro probably won't work for you.

1. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equation books?

Ordinary differential equation (ODE) books focus on equations that involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equation (PDE) books focus on equations that involve multiple independent variables. ODE books are typically used in introductory calculus courses, while PDE books are used in more advanced courses such as differential equations and mathematical physics.

2. What topics are typically covered in an ordinary differential equation book?

An ordinary differential equation book typically covers topics such as first-order ODEs, higher-order ODEs, systems of ODEs, and boundary value problems. It may also include applications to physics, engineering, and other sciences.

3. Are there any recommended introductory books on Green's functions?

Yes, some recommended introductory books on Green's functions include "Green's Functions and Boundary Value Problems" by Ivar Stakgold and Michael Holst, "Green's Functions and Linear Differential Equations: Theory, Applications, and Computation" by Robert M. Corless and G. H. Gonnet, and "Green's Functions with Applications" by Dean G. Duffy.

4. What are Green's functions and why are they important?

Green's functions are mathematical tools used to solve linear differential equations with non-homogeneous boundary conditions. They are important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, as they provide a way to solve complex problems by breaking them down into simpler components.

5. How can I apply Green's functions to solve practical problems?

Green's functions can be applied to solve a wide range of problems, such as heat conduction, wave propagation, and electric potential. By using Green's functions, you can obtain a solution to a problem in terms of an integral, which can then be evaluated numerically. This approach is particularly useful for problems with complex boundary conditions or non-uniform media.