1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orientating objects to align with a specific axis

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    Hi!,

I'm well into the world of computer graphics. Love to say it was great but well, it isn't.

I would like to know how I can take any object and have it orientate so its centre aligns perfectly with any arbitrary axis.

Think of a cylinder at the origin pointing down the x-axis. Well I would like to know how I can rotate it so it points directly down an axis denoted by say (1,1,0) essentially in this theoretical case rotating it 45 degress. I haven't got a clue how to do this and I'm a bit thick too at times.

I know it has something to do with inverse matrices and such. I can get all the required inverse, determinant stuff from DirectX hard-coded functions so I don't even need to do much math I just need the solution method.

Any ideas? Naturally I can get a unit vector pointing down the required axis easily enough but how do I go about acquiring the necessary transform matrix to get something to go from its present position to be aligned with a new axis? Sure I know it's a concoction of X,Y, & Z rotations but hell which order to apply them in even if I did have the necessary rotations? I'm proper confused!!

Thanks alot for any help offered :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    Hi this resource:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041029003853/http:/www.j3d.org/matrix_faq/matrfaq_latest.html" [Broken]

Question 39 I believe firmly answers the question ;o)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook