Origin of infrared divergences in perturbation theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of divergences in an integral involving propagators and the impact of setting m=0 on the convergence of the integral. It is explained that while the integrand only has simple poles in most cases, when m=0 and at the point \vec{k}=0 there are double poles, which can lead to infinite results in the integration over k_0. The conversation also mentions the role of i\epsilon terms and the need to take the limit of \epsilon\to 0 in the end. It is noted that IR divergences only arise in the presence of massless particles.
geoduck
If you have a momentum integral over the product of propagators of the form [itex]\frac{1}{k_o^2-E_k^2+i\epsilon} [/itex], why are there divergences associated with setting m=0?

Factoring you get: [itex]\frac{1}{k_o^2-E_k^2+i\epsilon}=\frac{1}{(k_o-E_k+i\epsilon)
(k_o+E_k-i\epsilon)} [/itex]. This expression has simple poles at [itex]k_0=\pm E_k [/itex]. These two poles do merge to form a pole of order 2 when m=0 at the special value of [itex]\vec{k}=0 [/itex]. But this special value of [itex]\vec{k}=0 [/itex] is only one point in the integration region, and the value of an integral doesn't depend on the behavior at a single point. Everywhere else besides this single point the integrand only has simple poles of order 1 and hence should be convergent around these points.

So it seems to me that the only divergences should be UV divergences and not IR divergences.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what is
$$
\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{x}?
$$
It only diverges in the lower limit and that is only a point.

Orodruin said:
So what is
$$
\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{x}?
$$
It only diverges in the lower limit and that is only a point.

But there are i epsilons in the denominator. If you put a plus i epsilon in your denominator, and take your lower limit to be below zero, then your integral is finite.

It's finite but epsilon dependent. At the end of the complete calculation, you must be able to take the epsilon->0 limit and get a finite result. The point of IR divergences is that some things that you might have thought would be finite (such as the cross section for Compton scattering with exactly one incoming photon and exactly one outgoing photon) are, in fact, divergent. Removing the divergences requires taking into account the fact that no detector has perfect energy or angular resolution.

Avodyne said:
It's finite but epsilon dependent. At the end of the complete calculation, you must be able to take the epsilon->0 limit and get a finite result. The point of IR divergences is that some things that you might have thought would be finite (such as the cross section for Compton scattering with exactly one incoming photon and exactly one outgoing photon) are, in fact, divergent. Removing the divergences requires taking into account the fact that no detector has perfect energy or angular resolution.

Consider s-channel scattering in a phi^4 theory: $$\int d^4k \frac{1}{(k_0-p_0)^2-E_{k}^2+i \epsilon}\frac{1}{k^2_0-E_{k}^2+i \epsilon}$$

in the COM frame. There are poles at [itex]k_0=p_0 \pm E_{k}[/itex] and [itex]k_0=\pm E_{k}[/itex]

Assume [itex]p_0 \neq 0[/itex] because if this is not true then you'd have double poles at all values of the three-vector [itex] \vec{k}[/itex] and you would get divergences from an integration over [itex]k_0 [/itex]. If your particle has mass, [itex]E_k \neq 0[/itex] and integrating over the four separate poles should be no problem. For example, as [itex]k_0 \rightarrow E_k[/itex] then in the expression $$\int d^4k \frac{1}{(k_0-p_0)^2-E_{k}^2+i \epsilon}\frac{1}{k^2_0-E_{k}^2+i \epsilon}$$ you can set [itex]k_0[/itex] equal to [itex]E_k[/itex] except at the simple pole and get an integral of the form:
$$
\int d^3k \int^{E_k+a}_{E_k-a} dk_0\frac{1}{(E_k-p_0)^2-E_{k}^2}\frac{1}{2E_{k}}\frac{1}{k_0-E_k+i \epsilon}
$$

which ought to be perfectly finite and not dependent on [itex]i \epsilon [/itex] (the integral should be a real number times [itex]i \pi[/itex]). Outside the region [itex](E_k-a,E_k+a)[/itex] you don't need the [itex]i \epsilon [/itex]'s until you reach another pole.

The only trouble I see is the massless case when [itex] \vec{k}=0[/itex], when your simple pole becomes double poles as [itex]+E_k=-E_k=0[/itex], and then you'd get an infinite result when the integration over [itex]k_0[/itex] is done. I'm just having a hard time believing a single point [itex] \vec{k}=0[/itex] is causing all the trouble. For example, in three dimensions 1/r doesn't cause any problems at the origin in an integral. In 1 dimensions, 1/x does cause problems, but I think that's because you can't go around the singuarlity like you can in multiple dimensions.

geoduck said:
The only trouble I see is the massless case when [itex]\vec{k}=0[/itex], when your simple pole becomes double poles as [itex]+E_k=-E_k=0[/itex], and then you'd get an infinite result when the integration over [itex]k_0[/itex] is done.
Exactly right. IR divergences only arise when there are massless particles. See any QFT text for more details.

1. What are infrared divergences in perturbation theory?

Infrared divergences refer to mathematical expressions that become infinitely large when certain variables, such as the energy of particles, approach zero. In perturbation theory, these divergences arise due to the presence of massless or nearly massless particles in the system.

2. Why is it important to understand the origin of infrared divergences?

Understanding the origin of infrared divergences is crucial for accurately predicting and describing physical phenomena in particle physics. These divergences can significantly affect the results of perturbation theory calculations, and without proper understanding, it can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations.

3. How do infrared divergences affect the accuracy of perturbation theory calculations?

Infrared divergences can introduce large uncertainties in perturbation theory calculations, making it difficult to extract meaningful results. They can also cause the breakdown of perturbation theory, making it necessary to use other methods, such as resummation techniques, to obtain reliable results.

4. What are some approaches used to deal with infrared divergences?

There are various approaches to deal with infrared divergences in perturbation theory, including the introduction of infrared cutoffs, the use of resummation techniques, and the inclusion of higher-order corrections. These methods help to regulate the divergences and improve the accuracy of the calculations.

5. Are there any experimental observations of infrared divergences?

Yes, there have been numerous experimental observations of infrared divergences in particle physics, particularly in high-energy scattering processes. These divergences have been successfully predicted and accounted for in perturbation theory calculations, providing strong evidence for the validity of this theoretical framework.