Origin of Matter: Orthodox Scientific View?

In summary: Thanks for the heads up.In summary, there is a fairly accepted delineation of particles and matter arising as time went forward after the BB. Deemed the four eras it breaks down like this: Heavy particle era, time < 10-6 s, large particles and anti- particles appear; Light particles, T<10^-6; Radiation, T<300 secs.; Matter, T >1 million years.
Canute
Is there an orthodox scientific view on the origin of matter or is this invariably considered to be a metaphysical question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Canute
Is there an orthodox scientific view on the origin of matter or is this invariably considered to be a metaphysical question?

AS far as i know there was a Bang. Anything before that is incosequential, as it could not have affected our universe.

There is an fairly accepted delineation of particles and matter arising as time went forward after the BB. Deemed the four eras it breaks down like this:

Heavy particle era , time < 10-6 s, large particles and anti- particles appear
Light particles, T<10^-6
Radiation, T<300 secs.
Matter, T >1 million years.

Last edited:
I've got that bit thanks. But is there anything more to the BB hypothesis than a rabbit coming out of a hat, and is it thought that any matter has come into being since the BB (via quantum fluctuations etc.).

Well, just for starters, we cannot know what happened in the first ~10-43 s, because our two highly successful theories of physics (QM/Standard Model and General Relativity) are in conflict during this period. Maybe vast amounts of matter were created? We have no way to tell until we have a theory that can address that first Planck time.

If your strictly asking of the origin of matter, it is not a such an unobtainable question as the initial burst of energy converted itself into matter according to rules that we already know, If you aknowledge we can't exactely explain the broken symmetry between matter and anti-matter. An interesting note is only something like 1 out of billion parts of energy got converted into matter.

It is the initial burst of energy that is a tough one, however, there are no shortage of intriguing theories and ideas out there. I would suggest you get a couple books on cosmology.

Thanks. I'm aware of most of the theories of post BB expansion etc. , (very roughly). I was just checking if there was any 'orthodox' view or conjecture (or any scientific view at all) on how it all got started.

I know that this is not a question science can answer, but I wondered if there was any consensus on what kind of answer it might have. I assume not, but am still checking.

Canute: I know that this is not a question science can answer, but I wondered if there was any consensus on what kind of answer it might have. I assume not, but am still checking.
Not so fast! There are a number of people - including several PF members - who can give you good reasons to think that it is a question which science may be able to answer (but not just yet). If you look at the Strings section of Physics you'll see much discussion of two possibles; the Astronomy & Cosmology section also has much discussion.

I'll do that.

Related to Origin of Matter: Orthodox Scientific View?

1. What is the Big Bang theory and how does it explain the origin of matter?

The Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted scientific explanation for the origin of matter. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, about 13.8 billion years ago. This singularity then rapidly expanded in a massive explosion, creating all the matter and energy in the universe.

2. How does the formation of atoms and elements play a role in the origin of matter?

After the Big Bang, the universe was filled with a hot, dense plasma consisting of particles like protons, neutrons, and electrons. As the universe expanded and cooled, these particles began to come together to form atoms. Through nuclear fusion in stars and supernova explosions, heavier elements were formed, leading to the creation of the diverse matter we see in the universe today.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory and the origin of matter?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang theory and the origin of matter. This includes the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the redshift of galaxies, which is evidence of the expansion of the universe.

4. Are there any alternative theories to the Big Bang for the origin of matter?

While the Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of matter, there are some alternative theories, such as the Steady State theory and the Oscillating Universe theory. However, these theories have been largely disproven by observational evidence and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. How does the origin of matter tie into the overall history and fate of the universe?

The origin of matter is a crucial part of understanding the history and fate of the universe. It not only explains how the universe began, but also how it has evolved over time and how it will continue to change in the future. The study of the origin of matter is closely linked to other areas of cosmology, such as the study of dark matter and dark energy, which play a role in the overall fate of the universe.