Is the EPR Thought Experiment Misinterpreted in Contemporary Versions?

• Thread starter Varon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Epr
In summary, the book "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality" presents the EPR thought experiment, in which Einstein argues that the position or momentum of a pair of entangled particles can be known before measurement, while Bohr counters that these properties do not exist until they are measured. Other authors have added their own interpretations, but the original arguments revolve around the concept of non-local influence and whether properties exist before measurement. The Aspect Experiment and similar experiments have been used to argue for both non-local influence and the rejection of realism, leading to the question of which view is the mainstream one.
Varon
In the book "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality", the EPR was told in somewhat different way than other sources I have read. I don't know if it is the original views. The arguments goes like this and very simple.

In Copenhagen, In the absense of a measurement to determine its position, the electron has no position. Einstein didn't believe this. So he proposed the EPR thought experiment to show you can measure the position or momentum of A. Since the pair is entangled. B should have the same position or momentum. This, Einstein argued, means B has position or momentum before measurement. This is all Einstein wanted to argue. The book says it was not being argued that both B position and momentum can be known simultaneously because Einstein knew that it was not possible to simultaneously measure its position and momentum. He is only concern about the element of reality which is the position or mometum being definite before measurement.

Bohr countered that before measurement to determine its position or momentum, there is no position or momentum even in principle. It is in the measurement setup that stored that information.

Are the above arguments the real essence of it all? There are many different versions now that are added by different authors and people which made it complicated. I wanted to know the original arguments. Is the book correct that the above arguments I mentioned were the original ones?

Physics news on Phys.org
I read another book, Heinz Pagels "Quantum Physics as the Langauge of Nature" and found out the real story.

When you measure the momentum of A and then the position, the previous momentum value would change. This should reach B too if there is non-local influence. Since Einstein doesn't believe in non-local influence, then he believes there is hidden variables.

Bohr countered that there is no properties before measurements and if measurement were done on B. It should have the updated momentum change and reflecting the measurement details of A.

I missed this part because I was actually listening to the audiobook of "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate of the Nature of Reality". Moral. Avoid listening to audiobooks for technical subjects because you can miss many important details.

Anyway. Reading Heinz Pagels, I came across Bell's Theorem and wondered the following.

Do Aspect Experiment and the like prove that non-local influence with randomness encryption occurs in nature with properties there before measurement or does it prove Bohr original views that properties like position doesn't exist before measurements? Is it:

1. Non-local reality with randomness encryption, or
2. Realism rejected and there is nothing to be non-local about because properties don't exist prior to measurement so no non-local influence at all for non-existent properties.

Which one is the mainstream view??

Related to Is the EPR Thought Experiment Misinterpreted in Contemporary Versions?

1. What is the EPR thought experiment?

The EPR thought experiment, also known as the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox, is a theoretical scenario in quantum mechanics that was proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. It involves two entangled particles, where the properties of one particle can instantly affect the properties of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How is the EPR thought experiment interpreted in contemporary versions?

In contemporary versions, the EPR thought experiment is often interpreted as an argument against the completeness of quantum mechanics. It suggests that there must be hidden variables at play that determine the properties of the entangled particles, rather than the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the main issue with the EPR thought experiment?

The main issue with the EPR thought experiment is that it relies on the assumption of local realism, which states that objects have definite properties regardless of whether they are measured or not. This assumption is incompatible with the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Is the EPR thought experiment misinterpreted in contemporary versions?

Some scientists argue that the EPR thought experiment is misinterpreted in contemporary versions, as it relies on outdated assumptions and does not take into account the advancements in quantum mechanics. They suggest that the experiment does not actually disprove the completeness of quantum mechanics and that the phenomenon of entanglement can be explained without the need for hidden variables.

5. What implications does the EPR thought experiment have for our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The EPR thought experiment has significant implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics, as it challenges some of the fundamental principles of the theory. It has led to further research and debates about the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.