1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthochronous subspace of Lorentz group.

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    In a Lorentz group we say there is a proper orthochronous subspace. How can I prove that the product of two orthchronous Lorentz matrices is orthochronous? Thanks. Would appreciate clear proofs.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds like homework...

As a start, what is your definition of orthochronous?

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    [itex] \Lambda^0_0 \geq 1 [/itex]

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Consider two such matrices, [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], call their product [itex]C[/itex]. Now take the [itex](0,0)[/itex] entries of the following matrix equations
    [tex]A B = C , \ \ \ A \ \eta \ A^{ T } = B^{ T } \eta \ B = \eta .[/tex]
    Now, if you use the Schwarz inequality
    [tex]
    - \sqrt{ ( A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } )^{ 2 } ( B^{ i }{}_{ 0 } )^{ 2 } } \leq A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } \ B^{ i }{}_{ 0 } ,
    [/tex]
    and
    [tex]A^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } \geq 1 , \ \ B^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } \geq 1 ,[/tex]
    you should be able to show that [itex]C^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } \geq 1[/itex]

6. Apr 14, 2014 #5
    Thanks for reply. Why is there a minus sign in Schwartz inequality? Isn't it [itex] \sqrt{ ( A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } )^{ 2 } ( B^{ i }{}_{ 0 } )^{ 2 } } \geq |A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } \ B^{ i }{}_{ 0 }| [/itex]?

[tex]

C^0 {}_0 - A^0 {}_0 B^0 {}_0 = A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } \ B^{ i }{}_{ 0 }

[/tex]

How to proceed?

7. Apr 15, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't (yet) see what Sam is doing there. But what you wrote isn't the standard Cauchy-Schwarz inequality either. I think what you're looking for is
    $$\left|\sum_i A^0{}_i B^i{}_0\right|\leq \sqrt{\sum_i(A^0{}_i)^2}\sqrt{\sum_j(B^j{}_0)^2}.$$ Do you know how to prove that if ##\Lambda## is orthochronous, its 00 component is either ##\geq 1## or ##\leq -1##? If you have proved that, it will be sufficient to prove that the 00 component of the product transformation is ##\geq 0##. I think that makes the problem much easier. One approach is to try to show that (in a notation with all indices of matrix components written downstairs) ##(\bar\Lambda\Lambda)_{00}=\bar\Lambda_{00} \Lambda_{00} X,## where X is a non-negative real number.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  8. Apr 15, 2014 #7
    So how does it work out?

9. Apr 15, 2014 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried this approach? (I have, so I know that it works). What do you get?

10. Apr 15, 2014 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Moved to homework since it is a homework type question.

Please provide an attempt at the solution.

11. Apr 15, 2014 #10
    [tex] |C^0 {}_0 - A^0 {}_0 B^0 {}_0 | \leq \sqrt{\sum_i(1-B^0{}_0{}^2)}\sqrt{\sum_j(A^0{}_i)^2} [/tex]. I don't know how to express $$ A^0{}_i^2$$ in terms of A00

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  12. Apr 15, 2014 #11

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see what you're doing there.

I worked through the solution by my method again. I had to use Cauchy-Schwartz, the familiar version for vectors on ##\mathbb R^3##, but not until the very end.

You didn't answer if you have already proved that the 00 component of a Lorentz transformation can't be in the interval (-1,1). You should start with that, because it makes your task easier. You will find that result if you look at the 00 component of the matrix equation ##\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta##. (Use the definition of matrix multiplication). The next step is to use the definition of matrix multiplication on the 00 component of ##\bar\Lambda\Lambda##. Feel free to use the notation AB instead of ##\bar\Lambda\Lambda## if you prefer.

13. Apr 15, 2014 #12
    Yes, that's clear.

14. Apr 15, 2014 #13

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I should also mention that I find it useful to know that if ##\Lambda## is the transformation from the coordinate system S to the coordinate system S', then (in my notation, where all matrix indices are downstairs), ##\Lambda_{i0}/\Lambda_{00}## is the velocity of S in S'. It's not absolutely necessary to know that, but it makes some steps easier to see.

15. Apr 15, 2014 #14

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Ok, doesn’t this imply that
    [tex]- \sqrt{ ( A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } )^{ 2 } ( B^{ j }{}_{ 0 } )^{ 2 } } \leq A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } \ B^{ i }{}_{ 0 } .[/tex]

Now, from the other two equations, you have (sums over indices are implies)
    [tex]( A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } )^{ 2 } = ( A^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } )^{ 2 } - 1 ,[/tex]
    [tex]( B^{ j }{}_{ 0 } )^{ 2 } = ( B^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } )^{ 2 } - 1 .[/tex]
    Using these, the Schwarz inequality becomes equivalent to
    [tex]0 \leq | A^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } | \ | B^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } | \left( 1 - \sqrt{ ( 1 - | A^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } |^{ - 2 } ) ( 1 - | B^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } |^{ - 2 } ) } \right) \leq C^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } .[/tex]
    Now you can check that [itex]C^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } \geq 1[/itex].

16. Apr 15, 2014 #15
    How did you get this: [itex] ( A^{ 0 }{}_{ i } )^{ 2 } = ( A^{ 0 }{}_{ 0 } )^{ 2 } - 1 [/itex]? I understand it for B. how are [itex] A^0{}_j [/itex] and [itex] A^j{}_0 [/itex] related?

17. Apr 15, 2014 #16

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Lower indices number the rows in the matrix. Choose any convention you like and stick with it.

18. Apr 15, 2014 #17
    I still don't understand. They are different parts of lorentz matrix. One can only use the definition of lorentz group, I.e. orthogonality.

19. Apr 15, 2014 #18

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

I don't realy do homework. Any way, orthogonality is what I used in writing the matrix equations
    [tex]\eta = A \eta A^{ T }, \ \ \eta = B^{ T } \eta B[/tex]
    Now, forget about upper and lower indices, Can you find the first matrix element, i.e. the [itex](0,0)[/itex] entry in each of the above equations?

20. Apr 16, 2014 #19

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I see now that I got confused by the notation. The inequality that samalkhaiat wrote down is an almost immediate consequence of Cauchy-Schwartz for vectors in ##\mathbb R^3##. If we use your inequality from the quote above, and then use that ##|x|\geq -x## for all real numbers x,...

Regarding notational conventions: Some people would write ##x_i x_i## rather than ##(x_i)^2## to ensure that the index to be summed over explicitly appears twice, but I suppose that can be weird too when we use a convention that typically has one of the indices upstairs and the other downstairs. I would denote the component on row ##\mu##, column ##\nu## of an arbitrary matrix X by ##X_{\mu\nu}##, ##X^\mu_\nu## or ##X^\mu{}_\nu##. Samalkhaiat apparently uses ##X^\nu{}_\mu##. That's fine too. As he said, "choose any convention you like and stick with it".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted