Orthogonal change of basis preserves symmetry

In summary: It is the transpose of S, denoted by S^T. In summary, we need to prove that symmetric and antisymmetric matrices remain symmetric and antisymmetric, respectively, under any orthogonal coordinate transformation. This can be done using the definitions of symmetric and antisymmetric matrices and the orthogonal transformation rules, without reference to components. We can also use the fact that if S is symmetric, then S^T is also symmetric, and apply this to the transformed matrix S'.
boyboy400

Homework Statement

Prove that symmetric and antisymmetric matrices remain symmetric and antisymmetric, respectively, under any orthogonal coordinate transformation (orthogonal change of basis):

Directly using the definitions of symmetric and antisymmetric matrices and using the orthogonal transformation rules without reference to components.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well If S is symmetric then Sij=Sji
and for any u and v in the R space we have u.Sv=Transpose(S)u.v=Su.v
and S under any change of basis would be S'=QSTranspose[Q]

but I don't know how to go further...I really appreciate if anyone can help me out with this...I just have a few hours left :(
Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
boyboy400 said:
Well If S is symmetric then Sij=Sji

There is a coordinate-independent formulation of that, in terms of the transpose.

Apply that to S' to show that it is symmetric

CompuChip said:
There is a coordinate-independent formulation of that, in terms of the transpose.

Apply that to S' to show that it is symmetric

Thanks for the response but I guess what you refer to requires using indices and Einstein Summation stuff .. I'm only supposed to use the definitions ... Maybe my formula Sij=Sji was misleading or maybe it was not...
Could you be a little more specific please? Does that coordinate independent formula have a particular name or something? I can't figure out what you are referring to ...

If Sij is the given matrix, then what is Sji called?
You have already used it in your "attempt at a solution".

Related to Orthogonal change of basis preserves symmetry

1. What is an orthogonal change of basis?

An orthogonal change of basis is a transformation that preserves orthogonality between vectors. It is a change of coordinate system in which the new basis vectors are orthogonal to each other.

2. How does an orthogonal change of basis preserve symmetry?

An orthogonal change of basis preserves symmetry because it maintains the same geometric relationships between the vectors and their properties, such as length and angle. This means that the overall shape and structure of the system remains unchanged.

3. Why is it important to preserve symmetry in mathematical systems?

Preserving symmetry is important because it allows for the system to maintain its properties and behavior under various transformations. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the system, and also ensures that solutions to problems are consistent and reliable.

4. Can an orthogonal change of basis transform any type of symmetry?

Yes, an orthogonal change of basis can preserve any type of symmetry, including rotational, translational, and reflection symmetries. This is because the transformation maintains the geometric relationships between the vectors, regardless of the type of symmetry involved.

5. How is an orthogonal change of basis used in practical applications?

An orthogonal change of basis is commonly used in fields such as computer graphics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It allows for efficient and accurate transformations between different coordinate systems, making it a powerful tool for analyzing and manipulating data and systems.