Prove Orthogonal Vectors: x ⊥ u and v implies x ⊥ u - v

In summary, if x is perpendicular to both u and v, then x is also perpendicular to u - v. This can be shown using the property of the dot product, which states that the dot product of two vectors is equal to the sum of the dot products of its components. Therefore, if x is orthogonal to u and v, then the dot product of x with u and v will be equal to 0, and the same will hold true for x and u - v.
Dustinsfl
If x is ⊥ u and v, then x is ⊥ u - v.

I know this is true because u - v is in the same place as u and v; therefore, x is orthogonal. How can this be written better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the property of the dot product that a dot (b+c) = a dot b + a dot c

Dustinsfl said:
If x is ⊥ u and v, then x is ⊥ u - v.

I know this is true because u - v is in the same place as u and v; therefore, x is orthogonal. How can this be written better?

"is in the same plane as u and v..."

Dot product?

I understand the dot product needs to be used to do this (VeeEight and Mark) but I don't know how to implement it correctly.

If two vectors are orthogonal, what is their dot product?

I got it <x,v>=0, <x,u>=0

<x,u-v>=<x,u>-<x,v>=0-0=0

If x ⊥ u, how can you say the same thing using the dot product. You don't have to "implement" anything - just use the dot product.

Dustinsfl said:

OK, then what does this say about x and u - v?

Dustinsfl said:

:smile:

VeeEight said:
Use the property of the dot product that a dot (b+c) = a dot b + a dot c

VeeEight said:
:smile:

I was thinking more of proof then doing.

Dustinsfl said:
I was thinking more of proof then doing.

:confused:

I was thinking of a formal proof then just doing <x..> ... =0

Dustinsfl said:
I was thinking of a formal proof then just doing <x..> ... =0
That is a formal proof. Don't overthink this stuff at the expense of understanding what's going on.

Use the linearity of the dot product ( , ) so,

(x,u)=(u,x)=0 and (x,v)=(v,x)=0,
So consider,
(u-v,x)=(u,x)-(v,x)=0 => (x,u-v)=0.

FAQ: Prove Orthogonal Vectors: x ⊥ u and v implies x ⊥ u - v

1. What does it mean for two vectors to be orthogonal?

Two vectors are considered orthogonal if they are perpendicular to each other, meaning that they form a 90 degree angle at their intersection. In other words, their dot product is equal to zero.

2. How do you prove that two vectors are orthogonal?

To prove that two vectors x and y are orthogonal, you need to show that their dot product is equal to zero. This can be done by finding the dot product of the two vectors and showing that it equals zero.

3. What is the significance of proving that two vectors are orthogonal?

Proving that two vectors are orthogonal is important because it allows us to determine if the two vectors are independent or not. Orthogonal vectors are linearly independent, meaning that they cannot be written as a linear combination of each other.

4. Can two non-zero vectors ever be orthogonal?

No, two non-zero vectors cannot be orthogonal. For two vectors to be orthogonal, their dot product must be equal to zero, which is not possible if both vectors have non-zero values.

5. How does proving that x ⊥ u and v implies x ⊥ u - v relate to linear algebra?

Proving that x ⊥ u and v implies x ⊥ u - v is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to show that the difference of two orthogonal vectors is also orthogonal. This is a fundamental concept in vector spaces and is used in various applications, such as in solving systems of linear equations.

Back