Orthonormal basis for subsets of C^3

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis for W and W_perpendicular for W=span({(i,0,1)}) =Span({w1}) in C^3. It is determined that a vector x in W_perp is x = (a,b,-ai) and an orthonormal basis in W would be w1/norm(w1), but the norm(w1)=0. It is then realized that the complex inner product norm requires taking the complex conjugate, and thus a basis for W must also satisfy this. All of C^3 may be W_perp in this case.
gysush
We want to find a basis for W and W_perpendicular for W=span({(i,0,1)}) =Span({w1}) in C^3

a vector x =(a,b,c) in W_perp satisfies <w1,x> = 0 => ai + c = 0 => c=-ai
Thus a vector x in W_perp is x = (a,b,-ai)

So an orthonormal basis in W would be simply w1/norm(w1) ...but the norm(w1)=0 (i^2 + 1 = 0)

What am I missing here? Does a basis for W satisfy that it has zero length? Thus it is just the origin. Then would all of C^3 be W_perp?

Physics news on Phys.org
The complex inner product norm <x,y> is defined by (x*)^T y. You are forgetting the complex conjugate.

Ahh...I forgot to remember that a norm for F=C requires we take the complex conjugate of the 2nd vector.

You beat me to to it. :-)

1. What is an orthonormal basis for subsets of C^3?

An orthonormal basis for subsets of C^3 is a set of vectors that are both orthogonal and normalized. In other words, the vectors are perpendicular to each other and have a magnitude of 1.

2. Why is an orthonormal basis important in mathematics and science?

An orthonormal basis is important because it allows us to represent any vector in a given space using a combination of the basis vectors. This makes calculations and analysis much simpler and more efficient.

3. How is an orthonormal basis calculated for subsets of C^3?

An orthonormal basis for subsets of C^3 can be calculated by using the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves finding a set of orthogonal vectors and then normalizing them to have a magnitude of 1.

4. Can an orthonormal basis be used for any subset of C^3?

Yes, an orthonormal basis can be used for any subset of C^3 as long as the vectors in the subset are linearly independent.

5. What are some applications of orthonormal bases in science?

Orthonormal bases are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in quantum mechanics for representing the state of a quantum system and in linear algebra for solving systems of equations.