Oscillation Problem Please HELP need for school

In summary: The truck's velocity after leaving the spring is KE = 1/2mv^2. If the spring becomes hooked to the bumper of the truck, the truck will oscillate for a period of 0.31 seconds.
mkha0246

Homework Statement

A person places a 2.2kg truck against a horizontal spring (k=2300N/m) on a frictionless horizontal surface. The spring is compressed 15cm and released.

a) How much energy is stored in the spring just before the truck is released?

b) What is the velocity of the truck after it is "launched" (leaves the spring)?

c) If the spring inadvertently becomes hooked to the the bumper of the truck, what will be the period of the truck's oscillation?

d) As in part c, if the spring becomes hooked to the back of the truck calculate the location of the truck 0.31 seconds after the truck is released?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use the pe=1/2kx^2 equation for the first part but I am forgetting what is k is again. Also my weakness is in oscillation questions because after 3 months of summer vacation I am forgetting if we would use KE=1/2mv^2. I am utterly confused with thi problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) k is the spring constant. Use the value given at the beginning of your message.

(b) Yes, use KE = 1/2 m v^2

Hope that helps get things started.

mkha0246 said:
i tried to use the pe=1/2kx^2 equation for the first part but I am forgetting what is k is again.
k is the spring coefficient stated in the problem. The larger the coefficient the larger the potential energy.
mkha0246 said:
Also my weakness is in oscillation questions because after 3 months of summer vacation I am forgetting if we would use KE=1/2mv^2. I am utterly confused with thi problem.
Yes, and something to remember is PE + KE = ME.

so for part a you would use PE=1/2kx^2 and input k with 2300N/m and x with the displacement of 15cm?
and for part b would PE=KE so to find v because if PE doesn't equal KE then there will be two variables in the KE=1/2mv^2 equation and then you won't be able to find velocity.
also thanks for everyone's advice in this!

mkha0246 said:
so for part a you would use PE=1/2kx^2 and input k with 2300N/m and x with the displacement of 15cm?

Yes. Just be careful with the units.

... and for part b would PE=KE so to find v because if PE doesn't equal KE then there will be two variables in the KE=1/2mv^2 equation and then you won't be able to find velocity.
also thanks for everyone's advice in this!

That's sort of right. You'll get the right answer to this problem, but I'm not sure you quite understand why saying KE = PE works here, whereas that relation is not always true in general.

To understand it, your book probably has an equation expression conservation of total energy (KE+PE), along with some mention of "initial and final", "before and after", "1 and 2" or something like that. (Different texts will word it differently.)

Regards,

Mark

1. What is an oscillation problem?

An oscillation problem is a type of mathematical problem that deals with repeated cycles or vibrations. It typically involves finding the frequency, amplitude, or period of a repeating motion.

2. How is an oscillation problem solved?

An oscillation problem can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as differential equations, trigonometry, or calculus. The specific method used will depend on the specific problem and its given parameters.

3. What are some real-life examples of oscillation problems?

Some common real-life examples of oscillation problems include pendulums, springs, sound waves, and electronic circuits. These phenomena all involve repeated cycles or vibrations that can be described and analyzed using mathematical principles.

4. Why is understanding oscillation problems important?

Understanding oscillation problems is important for many fields of science and engineering, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of various systems that exhibit oscillating motion, such as mechanical structures, electrical systems, and even biological systems.

5. What are some tips for solving oscillation problems?

Some tips for solving oscillation problems include identifying the type of oscillating motion (e.g. harmonic vs. damped), understanding the given parameters and their relationships, and using appropriate mathematical methods and formulas. It is also helpful to visualize the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable steps.