Is the Universe's Oscillating Theory Inefficient?

• Thread starter Robert J. Grave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary, the inefficency comes from the fact that mass and energy are conserved during a collapse, but momentum is not. If momentum were conserved, then the momentum of the collapse must be conserved and result in another expansion.
Robert J. Grave
The oscillation of the universe therory was dropped because 'the universe is very inefficient' and so could not rebound after a collapse. What is the reason that cosmologist say this? In what way is it inefficient? It seems that the conservation laws say the opposite. Robert.

Space news on Phys.org
Robert J. Grave said:
The oscillation of the universe therory was dropped because 'the universe is very inefficient' and so could not rebound after a collapse. What is the reason that cosmologist say this? In what way is it inefficient? It seems that the conservation laws say the opposite. Robert.

Could you provide a little more context please? Which "oscillation theory" are you referring to? Who said that the universe is inefficient?

The inefficiant universe

I can not find the net source of the statement that 'the universe is inefficiant'. The source sited 3 things that were as problem with the therory of an oscillating universe. 1. it violated the 2nd law of thermo dynamics. 2. the latest observations indicate the universe is flat not closed, a requirement for the universe to collapse, a lack of sufficent mass. 3. the universe is very inefficent and the energy of collapse could not be efficiently converted to the next expansion resulting in imediate recollapse.
My question is: why is the universe inefficent, given the fact that mass/energy, momentum, is preserved? if momentum is preserved then the momentum of the collapse must be conserved and result in another expansion.
That is what I do not understand. These 3 concerns are aparently the ideas of main stream science. Thanks for your responce. Robert.

The oscillating universe could be very efficient. I was thinking about this question during a few last months and have summarised my results in a short paper. If you are interested you can find it in the physics arxiv:

http://uk.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0702113

Since this is the first draft, I would appreciate any comments.

1. What is oscillation theory?

Oscillation theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of oscillatory processes, which are repetitive patterns of motion or behavior. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems that exhibit oscillatory behavior, such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits.

2. What are some applications of oscillation theory?

Oscillation theory has many practical applications, including in the fields of physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to design and analyze electronic circuits, study the dynamics of mechanical systems, and model biological processes such as the heartbeat and brain waves.

3. What are some common oscillation theory problems?

Some common oscillation theory problems include finding the period and frequency of an oscillating system, determining the amplitude of oscillation, and analyzing the stability of a system. Other problems may involve finding the equations of motion for a system, solving differential equations, and calculating energy and power in oscillatory systems.

4. What are the key principles of oscillation theory?

The key principles of oscillation theory include the concepts of equilibrium, stability, and resonance. Equilibrium is when a system is in a state of balance, stability refers to how the system responds to disturbances, and resonance is when a system oscillates with a frequency that matches its natural frequency.

5. How is oscillation theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Oscillation theory is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as differential equations, calculus, and complex analysis. It also has connections to physics, specifically in the study of wave phenomena, and to engineering, where it is used to design and analyze systems with oscillatory behavior.