Oscillations of suspended block

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 2kg suspended by a spring with a strength of 2000N/m. The block is subject to a vertical driving force of 36cos(pt)N, and the spring will yield if its extension exceeds 4 cm. The relevant equation is x''+2kx'+w^2x=F(t), where p is the angular frequency and m is the damping constant. After rearranging the equation and plugging in values, the amplitude is found to be a = 36/([(2000-p^2)^2]^1/2). However, this is the complex amplitude and not the actual amplitude of the oscillator. The answer for the range of frequencies that can safely
buzzmath

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2kg is suspended from a fixed support by a spring of strength 2000N/m. The block is subject to the vertical driving force 36cos(pt)N. Given that the spring will yield if its extension exceeds 4 cm, find the range of frequencies that can safely be applied.

2. Relevant equation
x''+2kx'+w^2x=F(t)
p is angular frequency
2mk is the damping constant
mw^2 is the spring constant
mF(t) is the driving force

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this system is undamped so then k=0. Now I have x''+xw^2=F(t)
So w^2 = 2000 and F(t)=36cos(pt)
with this we have a formula for the amplitude which is
a = 36/([(2000-p^2)^2]^1/2)
So I want the amplitude to be -4<=a<=4
rearranging I get p<=(1991)^1/2 and p>=(1991)^1/2
but my book says the answer is p<20rads/s and p>40rads/s what am I doing wrong?
should I have gravity in there somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
The quantity a = 36/([(2000-p^2)^2]^1/2) isn't the amplitude of the oscillator, it's the "complex amplitude". You need to take a = 36/([(2000-p^2)^2]^1/2) and plug it into the equation:

Xparticular + Xhomogeneous = X(t)

As far as the damping is concerned, it appears that there isn't any damping, and that mg is incorporated into 36cos(pt) already.

Related to Oscillations of suspended block

1. What is an oscillation of a suspended block?

An oscillation of a suspended block refers to the back and forth movement of a block that is suspended from a fixed point by a spring or other elastic material. This movement is caused by the force of gravity pulling the block downwards and the elastic material pulling it back up.

2. What factors affect the oscillation of a suspended block?

The oscillation of a suspended block is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the stiffness of the spring or elastic material, and the length of the suspension. These factors determine the frequency, amplitude, and period of the oscillation.

3. What is the equation for calculating the period of oscillation of a suspended block?

The equation for calculating the period of oscillation of a suspended block is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the block in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in newtons per meter.

4. How does the amplitude of the oscillation change over time?

The amplitude of the oscillation decreases over time due to the effects of damping, which is the gradual loss of energy in the system. This can be caused by factors such as friction, air resistance, and the elasticity of the spring or elastic material.

5. How can the oscillation of a suspended block be used in real-world applications?

The oscillation of a suspended block can be used in various real-world applications, such as in pendulum clocks, shock absorbers in vehicles, and seismic sensors in earthquake detection systems. It is also studied in physics to understand the principles of harmonic motion and the behavior of elastic materials.