Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
@Andy Resnick & were the TIFF's 8 bit per channel (24 bit)? I ask because if the TIFFs were 8 bit per channel you potentially lost a lot of sensor data in the RAW->TIFF conversion. Would you ever consider sharing one of the RAW files so I could take a look at it with my image conversion software? A lot of Camera RAW files are 14bit or 16bit per channel.
Well.... I ran a thread about this a while ago (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/astro-image-stacking-optimize-dss-image-stacking-and-post-processing.963947/). I'm happy to send you a RAW image to play with- PM me with details.

The 14-bit RAWs are most likely converted into a 16-bit/channel TIFF before stacking. The stacked TIFF has a 32-bits/channel format, but in reality there's about 23-bits/channel of information. The magic happens when compressing to a 16-bit/channel TIF for non-Deep Sky Stacker post processing, for example denoising. The final step is another compression to 8-bit/channel which I save as a jpg because filesize.

Thank you... can I ask yet. which method of photographing you use: Camera Body atached by bajonet to eyepiece or another ?
thanks and lot of succes :thumbup: :smile:

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I took these this morning about 2:35a Pacific Time, along I-5 somewhere between Red Bluff and Corning, California, USA. A 14-24mm Nikon Lens @ 14mm was used with 2.8f, 10sec, 2000iso, all single frame RAW captures on nikon D800 body with approximately the following Adobe Lightroom RAW->JPG conversion settings:

Temp: 4637k
Tint: +2
Exposure: -0.97
Contrast: +87
Highlights: -100
Shadows: +100
Whites: +73
Blacks: +100
Clarity: +22
Dehaze: -1
Vibrance: -61
Saturation: -40

It was a moonless sky looking towards the southwest.

galaxy.gif

location.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave and thank you for answer. How much cost approx. this Nikon 400mm telephoto lens?

Hi:smile:

pinball1970

Gold Member

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi Dave and thank you for answer. How much cost approx. this Nikon 400mm telephoto lens?
Hi Bruha

not sure offhand, I'm a Canon user
Do a google search of/visit camera shops in your area :smile:

Meteors images 2 and 4? Edit: oops yes you note it yourself.
Great images
Thank you. In #2 I was looking up at the sky during the 10sec exposure so I saw it with my own eyes... quite bright and the light was bluish in color to my eye. Earlier on I had been driving and right through the windshield I saw a bright blue streak, then the whole sky lit up and afterwards there was a reddish streak across the sky... pretty impressive but I didn’t catch that one on film. I think there’s also at least one satellite in image #5 and a very faint satellite in image #3.

edit:

in image #3.
AAAC87F1-3304-44B4-BF83-A2D704B5D4C3.png

E1DAAFF0-76FC-4C06-9DAE-7FC9AFBFFC49.png

Last edited:
HI and thank you. (it is not my level :frown: :wideeyed:)

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Latest panorama using my 105mm lens, of the constellation Cygnus:

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m-2.jpg

Each exposure was 30 s, ISO 200 @ f/2- that's about the maximum aperture I am still able to get reasonable flat correction- and each stack (there are 6) is about 1 hour total integration time. Color balancing is still uneven, but significant improvement compared to last year. Assuming you are viewing this at a comfortable distance, I could print this image 12 feet across and, at a comfortable viewing distance, you would see this level of detail at the little dark blob just to the left of the North American Nebula:

center 7_31_19_1h 10m - right 9_1_18_31m-2.jpg

Hi it is really amazing, (how you can get this star density and these collors?) .

I attach sample of movie record of clouds passing over the sun... ó I see it is not allowed attach mp4... :))

Hi,
I attach my last attempt of Jupiter with Bresser HD (web) camera
I did not manage to capture Saturn by this camera up to now.
:smile::wideeyed:

Lot of succes

Attachments

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Star trails using my 15mm lens:

Monday_MAX_Stack-2.jpg

and a close-up of Polaris, located 0.736 degrees off Earth's rotation axis:

Monday_MAX_Stack-1.jpg

The diagonal line was created by a passing plane.