Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,450 replies · 334K views
From, http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap161011.html
CygnusWall_Wager_960.jpg
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
"The Mice (NGC 4676): Colliding Galaxies With Tails of Stars and Gas
[...]
The Mice presage what may happen to our own Milky Way several billion years from now when it collides with our nearest large neighbor, the Andromeda Galaxy (M31).
This picture is assembled from three sets of images taken on April 7, 2002, in blue, orange, and near-infrared filters.
Object Names: NGC 4676, The Mice

"
Source: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2002/11/image/d/

hs-2002-11-d-large_web.jpg
 
...and a link to HubbleSite which has a lot of images of many different categories...

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

e.g.
"Supernova 1994D in Galaxy NGC 4526"
Source: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/star/pr1999019i/
hs-1999-19-i-full_jpg.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and 1oldman2
DennisN said:
"The Mice (NGC 4676): Colliding Galaxies With Tails of Stars and Gas
[...]
The Mice presage what may happen to our own Milky Way several billion years from now when it collides with our nearest large neighbor, the Andromeda Galaxy (M31).
This picture is assembled from three sets of images taken on April 7, 2002, in blue, orange, and near-infrared filters.
Object Names: NGC 4676, The Mice

"
Source: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2002/11/image/d/

hs-2002-11-d-large_web.jpg


I love the collision simulation videos, this is probably my favorite. :woot:


This is a good one of the Andromeda vs. Milky way mash up.


Weird how I posted the first video like it was a part of your message I was replying to. o_O
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and davenn
1oldman2 said:
Weird how I posted the first video like it was a part of your message I was replying to. o_O

you just didn't quite get your quotes in the right place :wink:
 
davenn said:
you just didn't quite get your quotes in the right place :wink:
:sorry: You would think I'd quit doing that by now.:cool:
 
1oldman2 said:
:sorry: You would think I'd quit doing that by now.:cool:

probably those "senior moments" kicking in ... I have them all the time :wink:
 
Ok, today I have a very special one for us...

GN-z11, the (currently) most distant and oldest object we have seen:
heic1604a.jpg

NASA article said:
This surprisingly bright infant galaxy, named GN-z11, is seen as it was 13.4 billion years in the past, just 400 million years after the Big Bang. GN-z11 is located in the direction of the constellation of Ursa Major.
[...]
Before astronomers determined the distance for GN-z11, the most distant galaxy measured spectroscopically had a redshift of 8.68 (13.2 billion years in the past). Now, the team has confirmed GN-z11 to be at a redshift of 11.1, nearly 200 million years closer to the Big Bang.
[...]
The combination of Hubble’s and Spitzer’s imaging reveals that GN-z11 is 25 times smaller than the Milky Way and has just one percent of our galaxy’s mass in stars. However, the newborn GN-z11 is growing fast, forming stars at a rate about 20 times greater than our galaxy does today. This makes an extremely remote galaxy bright enough for astronomers to find and perform detailed observations with both Hubble and Spitzer.
Source:
Hubble Team Breaks Cosmic Distance Record (March[/PLAIN] 3, 2016)
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/hubble-team-breaks-cosmic-distance-record[/URL]

Two more sources:
  • http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2016/07/image/a/
  • [URL]http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1604a/
image2i1607bw.jpg


GN-z11 video clip:


An old video clip describing the most distant galaxy at that time (2010), UDFy-38135539, not GN-z11:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, OmCheeto and 1oldman2
Great post. :thumbup: I can't wait for JWST to come on line, it will be interesting to see how far the next generation telescopes can push the limits beyond what the current systems are doing.
 
1oldman2 said:
Great post. :thumbup: I can't wait for JWST to come on line, it will be interesting to see how far the next generation telescopes can push the limits beyond what the current systems are doing.
Thanks, and I agree with you completely!
 
Speaking of JWST, :smile:
cam 1.PNG


cam 2.PNG


And a very cool video as a bonus. :thumbup:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rootone, DennisN and OmCheeto
And now a few shots of one of my favorites. :smile:
hubble-carina-nebula.jpg

carina-nebula-alma-antenna.jpg

carina-nebula.jpg

carina-nebula-hubble-1000.jpg

bok-globule-1000.jpg

carina-nebula-spitzer-space-telescope.jpg

carina-nebula-visible-light-infrared-comparisons.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and OmCheeto
1oldman2 said:
And now a few shots of one of my favorites. :smile:
...
One of my favorites also. I downloaded a 6000 x 2906 pixel image quite some time ago.

Coincidentally, about the same time you posted those images, I was watching a video about Eta Carinae.
Fun, fascinating, and informative:



The Amazing Eta Carinae - Sixty Symbols
​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and 1oldman2
Earth as seen from Mars
(image resized by me to fit forum thread width)
"This view of the twilight sky and Martian horizon taken by NASA's Curiosity Mars rover includes Earth as the brightest point of light in the night sky. Earth is a little left of center in the image, and our moon is just below Earth."
Source page: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA17936
30937036011_466a71bfdb_c.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander, 1oldman2 and Borg
A clever and unusual edit of a timelapse (with fixed stars in the clip):

Time Lapse Sky Shows Earth Rotating Instead of Stars


This is the original clip:
VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, Borg and 1oldman2
This seems appropriate as we pass another Solstice, a lot of work went into this clip, I really enjoyed the perspective it gives. :thumbup:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and OmCheeto
A "beautiful" megamaser, compliments of Hubble.
megamaser.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and DennisN
I always thought I understood Lunar phases, these clips changed that thought, very cool. :thumbup:

 
A break in the clouds this past weekend; even though seeing was poor I could get decent images of the Orion nebula by stopping down my 400/2.8 to f/4:

2x_24m_400mm_zpsnwuk8ljj.jpg


Edit: better non uniformity correction...
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, DennisN, OmCheeto and 2 others