Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
According to the this wiki image page, this is a picture of the far side of the Moon:
603px-Back_side_of_the_Moon_AS16-3021.jpg

NASA source: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/frame/?AS16-M-3021
A higher resolution image is here.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I was googling around for nice astrophotos to use as desktop backgrounds, and stumbled upon this nice one of the Andromeda galaxy by Lorenzo Comolli:
(Source: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130626.html)
m31_comolli_960.jpg

Likes 1oldman2
A nice view of NZ :ok:
WEB_zealand_iss042e178671_lrg.jpg

Likes OmCheeto, davenn, DennisN and 1 other person
Likes 1oldman2
davenn said:
my homeland :smile:
Yup, It's a great shot of the South Island. I believe your old neighborhood is in this one if I'm not mistaken.

1oldman2 said:
Yup, It's a great shot of the South Island. I believe your old neighborhood is in this one if I'm not mistaken.

just off the frame a bit beyond the head of the arrow :smile:

upload_2017-6-9_10-59-17.png

Likes 1oldman2
Mimas over Saturn:
(Source: http://phys.org/news/2017-06-image-mimas-saturn-north-pole.html)

http://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/csz/news/800/2017/2-imagesaturns.jpgTo @Andy Resnick and others:
Andy Resnick said:
'Focus stacking' is a little different than 'astrophotography stacking'. For focus stacking, I use CombineZP (also free) It's a little tricky and I generally don't get 'awesome' results, but it's better than nothing. Let me know if you find something better...
Andy, I've stumbled upon two links I'd like to share:

Focus stacking (with Photoshop):
Photoshop Playbook: How to Blend Multiple Images with Different Depths of Field (youtube)

Noise reduction stacking
(a method with Photoshop and some other software, I doubt it's better than DeepSkyStacker, but anyway):
A Look at Reducing Noise in Photographs Using Median Blending

We have very cloudy skies over here at the moment, and no noise reduction method will fix that... I am waiting for clear skies...

Last edited:
Likes Andy Resnick and 1oldman2
I figure this thread has room for one more awesome shot of a familiar planet.:smile:
cassini-saturn.jpg

Likes UsableThought, OmCheeto, Borg and 1 other person
wonderful photo of red sprites
I have yet to photo these, still on my bucket list :smile:

I have a stormchaser friend that photo's them quite often ... here's an example ...

19466710_1838278026189846_4107161889285314869_o.jpg

Marko Korošec shared Weather-Photos.NET's photo.
What more to ask after a great chase day? Red sprites, of course! Been chasing all day this past Sunday and when returning back I stopped at some elevated spot to shoot some TLE over quite distant MCS cluster in N Serbia. Got this family of pretty bright red sprites above it. June 25th, 2017, SW Slovenia.
cheers
Dave

Likes DennisN and OmCheeto
I agree, those things are amazing to look at. I wonder, without video, would anyone ever get lucky enough to photo them? seems like even on "burst" setting a still camera shot would be extremely long odds of recording them. I notice there seems to be many more Sprite images out there than the Blue Jets, are the Sprites more common ?.

1oldman2 said:
I figure this thread has room for one more awesome shot of a familiar planet.:smile:
View attachment 206234
I devoted an entire thread to that image about 6 years ago. I think I looked at it too closely.
Of course, that was before Marcus got me hooked on Ceres, so some of the things I said appear to be incorrect.
It is a composite, just not what I would have called "composite" back then.

Likes 1oldman2
An actual photo from Saturn's rings, taken by Cassini (only cleaned to remove cosmic rays and detector noise). Source

20170630_N00282563_cleaned_f840.png

Likes Sid, UsableThought, 1oldman2 and 1 other person
Ring Nebula (M57): first image is full frame (800/5.6), 1h 46m exposure, second is a 1:1 crop.

1h_44m.TIF%20RGB_zpsnhnqnzf3.jpg

3X_17m_zpsddjb31ng.jpg

Lots of objects are in view now (for me): Jupiter, Saturn and Pluto are all favorably positioned and Cygnus is coming into view. One more clear night to see if I can capture Pluto...

Likes DennisN, Borg, OmCheeto and 1 other person
1oldman2 said:
I agree, those things are amazing to look at. I wonder, without video, would anyone ever get lucky enough to photo them?

yeah, all the time as with that photo I posted above

the usual way is just to do a string of timed exposures, as Marko did

Likes 1oldman2
Back from vacation, busy doing class prep. It was cloudy every night, so I ended up making timelapse 'videos', here's two of them: one frame was acquired every minute, starting around 6pm and going until I passed out around 2am

A good one, managed to hold a constant exposure during an illumination change of 24 stops:

The best one- see the (near) full moonrise, a thunderstorm, lots of activity.

Enjoy!

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto and UsableThought
Likes Andy Resnick
5 hours of viewing (400/2.8 ISO 640) over the past 2 weeks:

4h_31m_filtered_zps1rn16a3f.jpg

not bad!

Likes 1oldman2, davenn, DennisN and 3 others
Likes OmCheeto and Andy Resnick
A few images of the starfield in Cygnus: the first one is about 3 fields of view at 400mm (full frame) covering most of the North American nebula and the second is the veil nebula, nearly filling a single field of view (at 400mm). The density of stars is really striking.

ttom_corrected_filtered%20-%20dark%20spot%20top_corrected_filtered_fused.tif%20RGB-1_zpswz8wnncd.jpg

5h_6m_filtered_zpskpcswuya.jpg

Likes DennisN, 1oldman2, Borg and 4 others
Andy Resnick said:
A few images of the starfield in Cygnus: the first one is about 3 fields of view at 400mm (full frame) covering most of the North American nebula and the second is the veil nebula, nearly filling a single field of view (at 400mm). The density of stars is really striking.
very cool images mate, well done :smile:

Likes Andy Resnick
A cool shot of Jupiter on NASA's image of the day.
pia21966-1041.jpg

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto and davenn
Great ISS flyover this evening:

DSC_2200-1_zpsmsbgibww.jpg

Likes phinds, 1oldman2, DennisN and 3 others
space.jpg

saturn-in-eclipse.jpg

Cassini's picture of Saturn with the Sun behind Saturn

Likes DennisN
acf4e9c8ebe7153d072f26dce0931ee1.jpg

Predicted view from the moon Titan.

Ivan Samsonov said:
Cassini's picture of Saturn with the Sun behind Saturn

Very nice!

Meanwhile, no satellite, no flyby, no animation, no photos, no video, no NASA tech crew - nothing but birding binoculars and naked eye; but as a total beginner I was pleased to get my own first-time view of Saturn last night, a very bright dot just below and to the left of the equally bright waxing crescent moon. The dot really did seem gold in color; I thought this might be my imagination until I looked it up.

Likes ISamson
Nice what setup did you use

sas3 said:
who are you referring to ??

if you don't quote the post you are responding to you are not likely to get an answer to your question

Andy Resnick said:
Great ISS flyover this evening:
Let's try that again...

Likes davenn
sas3 said:
Let's try that again...

Nothing fancy- my telephoto lens (800/5.6) and a tripod. TIF images acquired @ 1/1600s, ISO 800. No mirror lock-up, etc.

Likes davenn
osiris-rexearthmoon_rotated2.jpg

Some notes on perspective, :smile:
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/osiris-rex-snaps-pictures-of-earth-and-the-moon
"This black-and-white image of the Earth-Moon system was captured on Sept. 25, 2017 by NavCam 1, one of three cameras that comprise TAGCAMS (the Touch-and-Go Camera System) on NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft . At the time this image was taken, the spacecraft was retreating from Earth after performing an Earth Gravity Assist maneuver on Sept. 22. Earth and the Moon are shown 249,000 miles (401,200 kilometers) apart, and the spacecraft is 804,000 miles (1,297,000 kilometers) from Earth and 735,000 miles (1,185,000 kilometers) from the Moon."

maxresdefault.jpg
c4ccc66b383775c81cdbe3be60ee386e--black-stallion-horsehead-nebula.jpg

Likes DennisN