Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
Western Veil Nebula
Just finished this image tonight. Lost a lot of exposures due to bad focusing, stray light from the full moon, and other problems, but it still came out alright.

_nc_ohc=CfwKT86B-acAX9iWQ0F&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn, Andy Resnick, DennisN and 4 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Western Veil Nebula
Just finished this image tonight. Lost a lot of exposures due to bad focusing, stray light from the full moon, and other problems, but it still came out alright.

View attachment 266285
Very nice. The blue margin on the bottom of the nebula is very prominent in this image. Is this a narrowband image? Same 80mm scope as always?

Likes Drakkith
I just heard about the newly discovered comet NEOWISE.
It is said to be visible in the Northern Hemisphere:
Wikipedia said:
By July 2020 it was bright enough to be visible to the naked eye. For observers in the northern hemisphere, in the morning the comet appears low on the northern-eastern horizon, below Capella. In the evening it can be seen in the north-western sky. In the second half of July 2020 it will appear to pass through the constellation of Ursa Major, below the asterism of The Plough (Big Dipper).

The comet is notable for being one of the brightest visible to observers in the northern hemisphere since Comet Hale–Bopp in 1997. Under dark skies it can be clearly seen with the naked eye and is expected to remain visible to the naked eye throughout most of July 2020.

If the sky stays clear, I'll go out searching for it later.
Fellows, grab your gear! :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2020_F3_(NEOWISE)

chemisttree said:
Very nice. The blue margin on the bottom of the nebula is very prominent in this image. Is this a narrowband image? Same 80mm scope as always?

Yes, same scope and it is narrowband. Using the Hubble pallet.

first attempt comet stacking: no tracking mount (106 1s exposures @400/2.8 ISO 1250).

NEOWISE-RGB-session_1-mod-St_filtered copy 2.jpg

If it's clear tomorrow I'll try again with the 105mm lens...

• Love
Likes chemisttree, DennisN, collinsmark and 2 others
Andy Resnick said:
first attempt comet stacking: no tracking mount (106 1s exposures @400/2.8 ISO 1250). If it's clear tomorrow I'll try again with the 105mm lens...

Very nice!

Likes Andy Resnick
Hi, it is beautiful!
Can I ask how is approx. relative angular speed of comet?

Andy Resnick said:
first attempt comet stacking: no tracking mount (106 1s exposures @400/2.8 ISO 1250).
Gorgeous! I'm still waiting for clear skies here...

Likes Andy Resnick
bruha said:
Hi, it is beautiful!
Can I ask how is approx. relative angular speed of comet?

Slightly faster than the angular speed of the stars? I'm not being snotty, that's the best answer I have... sorry! You can see the comet being 'dragged' along as the stacking program tries to align frames according to the star positions.

The angular speed is changing too as the comet swings around the sun in its orbit.

Hi and thank you for answers.- I was not lucky up to now as did not have possibility to observe really low horizont.. :frown: .
But I think it is still time till half of august...

How is the new camera/video working, Bruha?

Hi, I installed similar application for android Open Camera, but did not have possibility up to now. But as I see,
there is option of very high delay (1 min ) so I hope I will get sharper images. :smile:

Likes DennisN
I've been out looking for Neowise, but I had no luck. It was partly cloudy and the spot I chose in the city was not good, too much light pollution. If the sky gets clearer I will try another spot at the northern edge of the city. There are some nice photos of Neowise here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2020_F3_(NEOWISE)#Gallery

Hi, I attach two Saturn images by phone camera with adapter and Hyperion 8 mm. Anyway, I spot the Neowise yesterday but not very brightly (due to quite light western sky and pollution) -I found as better binocular than scope which has to big magnification to see whole tail and enough bright core.
Lot of succes... :smile: :thumbup:

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 163
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 159
Likes chemisttree, collinsmark and DennisN
Hi, here is next two Saturn images -little bigger , original and Gimp processed. (I try to lower ISO what is resulting in longer exp. time). Anyway, how you are succesfull with Neowise image? (I just observe , but not enough brightly for imaging... :frown:

Attachments

• SG2.jpg
    SG2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 130
  • SG4.jpg
    SG4.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 121
Likes DennisN
:smile: :smile:

Attachments

• SG5.jpg
    SG5.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 134
Likes DennisN
Hi there is still one image -just very slightly Gimp. processed :smile: o_O .

Attachments

• 0045G.jpg
    0045G.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 131
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
bruha said:
... Anyway, how you are succesfull with Neowise image? (I just observe , but not enough brightly for imaging... :frown:
Here’s mine. Canon 30D with a 50mm at f2.0, ISO 1000, 10 sec exposure. I took ten of these, untracked, and stacked them in Registax 6.0. Levels in Photoshop CS2. Taken on 07/22/2020 at 10:10-10:20 pm CST. Below the big dipper at that point.

7315292B-B3D8-4BB4-96DD-13EB47274EF6.jpeg

• Love
Likes DennisN, davenn and collinsmark
Hi, it is very nice :thumbup: :smile: (so its made just with camera , no scope..?)

have nice day

bruha said:
Hi, it is very nice :thumbup: :smile: (so its made just with camera , no scope..?)

have nice day
Yes, a camera without a scope. I found the same thing as you. It was best viewed with binoculars.

I was on an improvised astronomy tour with one of my friends a couple of days ago, out in the countryside away from city lights. We tried to located the comet, but we failed.
But we saw a lot of other things, e.g. the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Andromeda Galaxy and the Pleiades.

Here's my first Deep Sky photo through my cheap telescope, the Pleiades:
(sadly a bit of startrails are present, I regretfully chose a bit too long exposure time)
50202064031_0e77c66ca5_w.jpg

Jupiter, stacked frames from a movie (Pipp & Registax & postprocessing in Lightroom):
50202327542_042c7d197d_w.jpg

Moon in the sky, panorama:
50201519638_e75f909203_c.jpg

The Moon:
50201519603_01f76d8e7e_c.jpg

Moon detail:
50202327597_887c03d549_w.jpg

Me with a Moon in the sky in the background, photographed by my friend:
Dennis och månhimmel-m2.jpg

... and a UFO!
Well, rather, it's a water tower in the city built in 1973.
The small dot visible at the lower right of the tower is Venus.
50202357577_5ba0c2e5c3_c.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, davenn and Ibix
Hi, its very nice nad interesting images (up to know I am not able to catch Jupiter "strips"- with high ISO its images some moons but not strips with low ISO. I add as well two Saturns little Gimp processed. Anyway, yesterday I first look at Mizar as I read recently about this sextuple star group and see bright Mizar as two close dots and distantly below not so bright Alcor as one dots. Have you imaging these sometimes ?

Lot of succes

Attachments

• Jupiter.jpg
    Jupiter.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Jupiter 2.jpg
    Jupiter 2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 124
  • SG8.jpg
    SG8.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 126
  • S8G.jpg
    S8G.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 122
Likes chemisttree and collinsmark
bruha said:
Hi, its very nice nad interesting images (up to know I am not able to catch Jupiter "strips"- with high ISO its images some moons but not strips with low ISO.
I usually don't see the bands/stripes of Jupiter in the scope myself. I get them out through the processing of frames, and postprocessing (lowering exposure and increasing contrast).
However, this time when I was observing with my friend, I tried mounting a couple of different filters to the eyepiece. There was one filter I used which actually made it possible for us to observe the bands of Jupiter directly in the telescope. I don't remember which filter I used, but I will definitely try filters some other time.

You could have a look at this page:
Choosing a Color/Planetary Filter

bruha said:
Anyway, yesterday I first look at Mizar as I read recently about this sextuple star group and see bright Mizar as two close dots and distantly below not so bright Alcor as one dots. Have you imaging these sometimes ?
I haven't. I'm quite new to this, so there is a lot for me to explore. :smile:

I am actually planning to buy a new telescope, but I'm still considering which one to go for. There are so many alternatives, so it takes time to think it through. I've been seriously considering one of these Newtonians:
(these are not made primarily for photography, but at least the SkyWatcher can be modified for photography)

Recently I've become quite interested in these two, since they are suitable for photography:
And I would like to have a mount that supports GoTo and WiFi. :smile:

Likes collinsmark
What will you be looking at with the scope? Mostly. Planets and Lunar? Definitely the SkyWatcher 150PL (longer focal length of 1200mm). Muuuch better gooder on the Moon and planets.

Hello and thank you for filter reference, I will study it and choose suitable one.. :smile:
Have nice day...

chemisttree said:
What will you be looking at with the scope? Mostly.
You mean besides my neighbors? I guess the sky. Maybe 50-50. Nah, maybe 80% my neighbors and 20% sky. :smile:
No, seriously:

chemisttree said:
What will you be looking at with the scope? Mostly. Planets and Lunar?
I would like an allround scope (Solar system objects and Deep Sky objects). I have a feeling I will focus more on stars and deep sky objects when I get a better scope than I have now. Hopefully the scope will focus too. :smile:

chemisttree said:
Definitely the SkyWatcher 150PL (longer focal length of 1200mm). Muuuch better gooder on the Moon and planets.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look at it!

Taken from my back patio a few nights ago. Jupiter, Ganymede and Io (plus Ganymede's and Io's shadow transits).

(captured at ~2020-08-15 05:06.9 UT over the course of 9 minutes [3 minutes each for Red, Green, Blue channel]).

Ganymede is easily seen to the right of Jupiter. Shadows of Io and Ganymede are easily seen on Jupiter from left to right, respectively. Io itself is technically visible in the image, just below Ganymede's shadow on the same band edge as its own shadow, but is blending into the background clouds so seamlessly it's practically invisible. Io is performing one heck of a camouflage effect. It can't hide from its own shadow though.

2020-08-15-0506_9-G-RGB-RGB_Gimp_Corrected_800x529.jpg

2020-08-15-0506_9-G-RGB-RGB_Gimp_Corrected_Annotated.jpg

Acquisition details:

Equipment:
Telescope: Meade 10" LX200-ACF mounted on an equatorial wedge
Camera: ZWO ASI290MM
TeleVue 2x Powermate (essentially a Barlow lens) to bring optical system to f/20, focal length 5000 mm.
ZWO Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector (ADC)
ZWO EFW Electronic Filter Wheel
Astronomik Deep-Sky RGB filter set

Adjustments of Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector (ADC) was done visually using an eyepiece immediately before swapping the eyepiece with the filter wheel + camera. (Atmospheric dispersion effects are a lot easier to detect in color, rather than when using a monochrome camera.)

Midpoint timestamp of acquisition: ~2020-08-15 05:06.9 UT, in order of Red, Green, then Blue, 3 min each.
(Total amount of raw data: ~90 GB. That's not a typo. Ninety gigabytes. Almost a tenth of a terabyte. Around 30 GB per channel)

Software and processing:

Autostakkert!
Registax
WinJUPOS
Gimp
(All software packages are free, btw.)

Each channel (Red, Green, Blue) were stacked separately using Autostakkert!
Each channel image was then processed separately using Registax's wavelet sharpening.
Channel images were then de-rotated and combined using WinJUPOS.
Gimp was used for color, contrast and brightness adjustments, and final cropping. Also Gimp was also used for bit of color alignment retouching involving the moons and their shadows (see below).

Jupiter rotates quite quickly, making a full rotation in only about 10 hours. As a rule of thumb, any image or image sequence (of Jupiter) longer than ~3 minutes will show signs of rotation (blurring, etc). My image sequence is 9 minutes total, so I need to account for this. WinJUPOS software can "derotate" images of Jupiter by several minutes, so I used that to derotate the Red and Blue channels to match up with the Green.

WinJUPOS worked quite well for Jupiter itself, but unfortunately, Io, Ganymede and their shadows do not move at the same speed as Jupiter's rotation. So the end result left a little color fringing around the moons' shadows and Ganymede.

So I used Gimp's warping tools to gently "nudge" the reds and blues into the greens in the areas of the moons' shadows and Ganymede (I didn't touch Io itself, since that wasn't even discernible in the individual channels either). I concede that this "nudgining" isn't a particularly graceful solution, but, well, what else am I going to do.

Overall though, I'd call the image mostly a success.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Charlotte Bridge, davenn, chemisttree and 4 others
Here's another attempt at Jupiter. Data was taken the same night as from the last post. Can you believe that I almost threw away the raw data because a hazy cloud passed over?! It wasn't until I decided to process the data for practice that I realized an important lesson.

Lesson I learned: Do not be afraid of occasional light cloud cover when taking planetary images, even if a light cloud passes over during a pass, particularly if the seeing is good. Seeing is king, and sometimes hazy light clouds and good seeing go hand in hand.

Anyway, the processing is pretty much the same as described in the last post, including a bit of "nudging" to correct the color fringing around Ganymede and moon shadows. I think I did a little bit better job this time though. (And Io is sort of visible this time, too!)

Timestamp of acquisition midpoint is 2020-08-15 04:33.7 UT

2020-08-15-0433_7-G-RGB_Gimp_Corrected.jpg

2020-08-15-0433_7-G-RGB_Gimp_Corrected_Annotated.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn, chemisttree, DennisN and 2 others
C34-Western Veil Nebula in HA and OIII.

_nc_ohc=fyFbvU8xlvYAX86ocTM&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, chemisttree, Nick-stg and 5 others
M27-Dumbbell Nebula
HA & OIII Narrowband

_nc_ohc=xES5Ik0qdPgAX8LzFFb&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, chemisttree, davenn and 5 others
DennisN said:
I usually don't see the bands/stripes of Jupiter in the scope myself. I get them out through the processing of frames, and postprocessing (lowering exposure and increasing contrast).
ohh ? which scope ?

I've been working on creating a few panoramas of various nebulae in the constellation Cygnus for the past few weeks- I'm hoping the final results are print-worthy. The star density in Cygnus is amazing; the large diffuse emission nebulae like IC 1318 and Tulip nebula are tricky to bring out. Last night I took a break from the region near the Tulip nebula and instead imaged NGC 6819; here's the result: first the entire image and then a 1:1 crop:

8_20_20-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg-mod-St copy.jpg

8_20_20-RGB-small.jpg

Deets: 45 minutes total integration @400/2.8 ISO 64, acquired 15 seconds at a time. I am particularly pleased that almost 50% of the acquired images were 'stackable'.

Likes chemisttree, collinsmark and Drakkith
Here's a preliminary panorama of the Milky Way, scaled down to 6%:

Milky_Way_2020b-RGB-session_1_2ndLNC_it3-St copy.jpg

Images taken at 105/1.4, 2s @ ISO 64, about 40 images per stack. No tracking mount- took these images while on vacation. There is some trailing apparent at 100%, but very tolerable:

Milky_Way_2020b-1.jpg

• Love
Likes Nick-stg, chemisttree, Borg and 3 others
Monochrome image of NGC 3324 in Hydrogen-Alpha taken several years ago that I only processed just now due to not having any other color data. And since it's in the southern sky I'd have to rent an online telescope to get more data, which I can't do at the moment.

@phinds I think I see your face in here!

_nc_ohc=SZunUdJDoJYAX8Rx5t7&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

Likes Nick-stg, collinsmark and Andy Resnick