Outlet temperature of flue gas

In summary, the conversation is about a problem on an assignment that involves calculating the outlet temperature from a pre-heater. The question is not clear, but the assumption is that it is just for the pre-heater. The person asking the question is unsure about the flue gas temperature and the mass flow rates. The flue gas temperature coming out of the boiler is estimated to be 300°C, with a flow rate of 1400 kmol h-1, an enthalpy of 2018 kJ/kg at 5 bar, and a heat capacity of 4.208 at 90°C. It is unclear what the enthalpy refers to, and the water flow rate is also unknown. More information is needed
PCal
Homework Statement
If the flue gases exiting the boiler are used to preheat the water fed to the boiler from a temperature of 28 C to 90 C and assuming:
• a mean specific heat capacity for water over this temperature range to be 4.2 kJ kg–1 K–1

a mean molar heat capacity for the flue gases up to 300°C to be 31 kJ kmol–1 K–1

10% of the heat required to heat the water is lost in the heat exchanger

all water entering the system is converted to steam

determine the final outlet temperature of the flue gas
Relevant Equations
Enthalpy at 5 bar = 2018kJ/kg

Flame temp= 1997°C

Heat in =(sensible heat in fuel and air + latent heat released by combustion)

Heat out=Σ(mass×mean specific heat capacity×Tf) for each of the products of combustion.
This is the final question on my assignment and I'm clueless as to where I should even start as the lesson seems to give no guidance. Help would be massively appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to do the calculation just for the pre-heater, for the combination of preheater and boiler, or for each of them separately?

If I'm correct, just the outlet temperature from the pre-heater. The question isn't particularly clear but that's my assumption!

Do you know the flue gas temperature coming out of the boiler? Do you know the mass flow rates of the water and the flue gas? or, Do you know the flue gas temperature going into the boiler?

I think the flue gas coming out of the boiler is 300° C but tha's not very clear, The flow rate of the flue gas = 1400 kmol h-1, Enthalpy at 5 bar = 2018kJ/kg, the heat capacity at 90°=4.208. As far as I can tell that's all I've got

The enthalpy of what at 5 bars is 2018 k/kg? Do you know the water flow rate?

What is the full exact problem statement?

1. What is the outlet temperature of flue gas?

The outlet temperature of flue gas refers to the temperature of the exhaust gas that is released from a combustion process, such as in a power plant or industrial furnace.

2. Why is the outlet temperature of flue gas important?

The outlet temperature of flue gas is important because it can affect the efficiency and performance of a combustion process. It can also impact the emissions of pollutants into the environment.

3. How is the outlet temperature of flue gas measured?

The outlet temperature of flue gas is typically measured using a thermocouple probe, which is inserted into the exhaust stream. The temperature can also be monitored using thermal imaging cameras or infrared sensors.

4. What factors can influence the outlet temperature of flue gas?

The outlet temperature of flue gas can be influenced by several factors, including the type and quality of fuel being burned, the amount of excess air in the combustion process, and the design and condition of the combustion equipment.

5. How can the outlet temperature of flue gas be controlled?

The outlet temperature of flue gas can be controlled by adjusting the air-to-fuel ratio, using heat recovery systems to capture and reuse waste heat, and maintaining proper maintenance and operation of the combustion equipment.