Exploring the Possibility of an Outside Spacetime: Separating Fact from Fiction

In summary, this thread is closed because there is no concrete evidence that spacetime can have an outside.
fanieh
Can spacetime have an outside? I sometimes read stuff where it is mentioned. Is it true?

Physics news on Phys.org
fanieh said:
Can spacetime have an outside? I sometimes read stuff where it is mentioned. Is it true?
Please provide a specific reference. "Stuff where it is mentioned" is not enough to go on.

You may wish to read about embedding theorems and pseudo-Riemannian geometry.

fanieh said:
Can spacetime have an outside? I sometimes read stuff where it is mentioned.

Where did you read such "stuff"?

Zz.

What physical experiment would you do to measure an "outside" of space-time? Do any of the things you "sometimes read" describe such an experiment that could be carried out to answer the question - i.e. an experimental result that gives one answer if there is an 'outside' and a different result if there is not? Lastly, are such discussions that you "sometimes read" in the context of General Relativity, or in some other theory (for example, some sort of Brane theory).

In the context of General Relativity, there's no reason to assume that there is anything "outside" space-time, in fact the geometry is carefully set up to be an intrinsic geometry. Many popularizations use an embedding diagram to illustrate the concept of curvature, but this is more or less a visual aid, it's not part of the theory itself.

I don't necessarily have a good answer outside the context of GR - the question though is rather broad, if you think you have some specific theory that requires an "outside of space-time", it would probably be a good idea to identify that particular theory more closely, and then find the appropriate forum to talk about that question. It's always worth asking the question if you're thinking about something that is testable by physical experiment - or if you are asking about something that can never be tested. Sometimes the tests may not be obvious, but if you realize you're asking about something that can never be experimentally decided, you're asking yourself a philosophical question and not a scientific one.

ZapperZ said:
Where did you read such "stuff"?

Zz.

I forgot.. but maybe something about entanglement using traffic outside spacetime..

With that this thread is closed and will remain closed.

1. What is an outside spacetime and why is it important to explore?

An outside spacetime refers to the possibility of dimensions or universes existing beyond our own known universe. It is important to explore because it can provide a better understanding of the laws of physics and potentially lead to groundbreaking scientific discoveries.

2. How do scientists study the possibility of an outside spacetime?

Scientists study the possibility of an outside spacetime through theoretical models, mathematical equations, and observations of phenomena that cannot be explained by our current understanding of spacetime.

3. Is there any evidence to support the existence of an outside spacetime?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the existence of an outside spacetime. However, there are theories and experimental results that suggest the possibility of its existence.

4. Can humans ever physically travel to an outside spacetime?

It is currently unknown if humans will ever be able to physically travel to an outside spacetime. The laws of physics and our current technology make it seem unlikely, but advancements in science and technology may open up new possibilities in the future.

5. Are there any potential dangers or consequences of exploring the possibility of an outside spacetime?

As with any scientific exploration, there are potential dangers and consequences that must be considered. For example, some theories propose that accessing an outside spacetime could have unpredictable effects on our own universe. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and address these possibilities before conducting any experiments or research.