Overclock your TI-83 - Speed Up Your Calculator

• Thread starter relativitydude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-83
In summary: I bought two years ago. I suggest using a 10 pF capacitor on the Plus model if you want to overclock.In summary, if you want to overclock your 83+, you should use a 10 pF capacitor.
relativitydude
*Note: C7 refers to the TI-83 (Not Plus) but the procedure would be the same if we knew which cap on the Plus was to be replaced.

Well, I was just about to and KABLOOEY! My solder iron broke. If it didn't brake, all you need to do is replace the C7 capacitor to 15 pF to make it many times faster. Being bored, I taped my 15 pF cap in parallel to the 30 pF soldered cap on the board, which ofcourse yields 45 pFs. As predicted, it made the calculator much slower, but connect them in series and watch a world of improvement.

To think, what a racket Texas Instruments has. I find it amusing how they market the 83 Silver and now the 84+ and 84-Silver as 2.5 times faster! And all they did was change a 25 cent part from 30 pF to 15....

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd be suprised how cheap it is to make common electronic products. You could easily look at a 75% profit.

Once upon a time I got interested in overclocking. Actually I was just interested in seeing how big of a difference there was in speed in my computer. I set the speed as high as I could, then I set it at the lowest speed. It was okay to step down a few MHz at a time, but the big jump from fastest to slowest totally screwed it up and it took me a couple of hours to get it working again, so I'm one of the few people who has fried his computer underclocking.

I wouldn't do it to my computer. This 83 I have is nine years old and dilapidated.

Am I the only one on this website with a computer less than 3 years old?

My computer is four years old and doing great. G4/400 704 MB RAM, Radeon 8500...

Smurf said:
Am I the only one on this website with a computer less than 3 years old?
Get cocky and we'll make sure you aren't.

Overclock

Success! I actually overclocked my 83 and it still works. I lost my 10 pF capacitor and used one marked 15, supposedly 15 pF and my 83 is now about 40% faster than my 83+

1. How does overclocking my TI-83 calculator improve its performance?

Overclocking your TI-83 calculator involves increasing its clock speed, which allows it to process calculations and commands faster. This results in a noticeable improvement in performance, making tasks like graphing and solving equations quicker.

2. Is it safe to overclock my TI-83 calculator?

Yes, it is generally safe to overclock your TI-83 calculator. However, it is important to follow proper procedures and not push the calculator beyond its capabilities. Overclocking may also void the warranty, so it is important to consider the risks before attempting to overclock.

3. Can overclocking my TI-83 calculator cause any damage?

Overclocking may cause damage to your TI-83 calculator if not done properly. Pushing the calculator beyond its capabilities or not providing proper cooling can result in overheating and potentially damaging the internal components. It is important to follow instructions carefully and monitor the calculator's temperature while overclocking.

4. Do I need any special tools or equipment to overclock my TI-83 calculator?

No, you do not need any special tools or equipment to overclock your TI-83 calculator. However, you will need a computer and a special program, such as "Overclocking Toolkit," to change the calculator's clock speed. It is also recommended to have a cooling pad or fan to help prevent overheating.

5. Will overclocking my TI-83 calculator void the warranty?

Yes, overclocking your TI-83 calculator may void the warranty. It is important to consider the risks and potential consequences before attempting to overclock. If your calculator is still under warranty, it may be best to avoid overclocking and seek alternative solutions for improving its performance.