Overcome Feeling Discouraged in Math

• Thread starter Chrono
  • Start date
In summary: I was wondering if any of you were ever discouraged in math. In summary, math can be discouraging at times, especially when you feel like you'll never understand it. However, there are ways to overcome this feeling, such as finding a good tutor or asking questions in class. It's also important to remember that everyone learns differently and that math can become easier with time and practice. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't let others make you feel ashamed for not understanding something. In the end, the important thing is to keep learning and enjoying the process.
Theelectricchild said:
but we are all forgetting physics is a much harder subject than math...

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Math is much farther ahead than physics, and for all we know the final theory might already be in our hands.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know very little about physics, but as I recall from freshman year in college, physics was more difficult for me personally because the assumptions were not clearly stated in advance. I.e. in a physics problem one was expected to make reasonable assumptions that rendered the problem doable, but which had not been stated in the problem (for example [false] assumptions such as "space is homogeneous"). In math that kind of thing is never done: all assumptions are clearly stated. To me this gave physics problem solutions a feeling of: "well that's cheating, they never said you could assume that!" But for someone with that more flexible turn of mind, these problems were more doable. So for some people physics is harder and for other people math is harder. Certainly a lot of physicists come to mathematicians for technical help, and many mathematicians these days are looking to physics for inspiration. As for comparing the subjects globally, what does that mean? I.e. there are math problems (such as Riemann's hypothesis), that no one alive can do, nor has anyone been able to do for over 100 years. So what does it mean to say physics is harder? Math and physics enrich each other, and both offer extremely intractable problems.

One may say physics is more free wheeling, with more speculation and perhaps more imagination. In math on the other hand, the standards of precision and accuracy are higher, in that results must be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. Thus in physics the results and assumptions of prior ages are sometimes discarded by new generations as flawed theories, whereas in math the results even of the ancient Greeks still stand as firmly as ever.

At professional meetings I have attended, physicists sometimes argue as to which theory is more plausible. Mathematicians never argue for long. They just read the proof.

Last edited:
JasonRox said:
Math is much farther ahead than physics, and for all we know the final theory might already be in our hands.

We're not getting into that again, are we? :rolleyes:

I get that feeling once every week. If there's a physics problem or something I can't figure out, I feel like such a failure. But if I do figure something out on my own, it's the greatest feeling in the world. I guess it balances out. You just have to remember your self-worth, and if you do poorly in a subject, maybe that's not what you're meant to do?

Well to me, I think they are both very difficult.
And I still need help with my math -- I tried asking in the homework help area with NO luck, so I just erased it. So if you're bored and you're good at math. Send me a message! "BubblyAngelica"

And yes, I'm desperate!

desperate? :confused:

Silverious said:
I get that feeling once every week. If there's a physics problem or something I can't figure out, I feel like such a failure. But if I do figure something out on my own, it's the greatest feeling in the world. I guess it balances out. You just have to remember your self-worth, and if you do poorly in a subject, maybe that's not what you're meant to do?

I don't know what you mean by "not what you're meant to do?".

I do agree with the "greatest" feeling in the world.

Last edited:
Silverious said:
You just have to remember your self-worth, and if you do poorly in a subject, maybe that's not what you're meant to do?

I always thought you just had to work harder in that subject.

You guys are right, math is harder than physics.

JasonRox said:

I do agree with the "greatest" feeling in the world.

Check your PMs please ;)

singleton said:
Check your PMs please ;)

I didn't get any. :cry:

You must have sent it to the wrong person.

JasonRox said:

I'm just saying that if you have particular difficulty with math, you may want to switch to a field you may find more enjoyable and natural.

Of course that's a stupid thing to say on a calculus forum...

Silverious said:
Of course that's a stupid thing to say on a calculus forum...

Very true. :approve:

You said that you should switch to something enjoyable, but what if you enjoy math. Regardless if it's difficult or not, as long as you enjoy it, continue what you're doing.

A student can be a Math major who loves math, but can barely pass Calculus 1 and still love it. The student should continue regardless of how many tries it takes because he/she likes it.

You can bring the reality check, but I can also bring in the reality check of the fact that life is going to suck if you don't stick with what you love.

JasonRox said:
You said that you should switch to something enjoyable, but what if you enjoy math. Regardless if it's difficult or not, as long as you enjoy it, continue what you're doing.

A student can be a Math major who loves math, but can barely pass Calculus 1 and still love it. The student should continue regardless of how many tries it takes because he/she likes it.

You can bring the reality check, but I can also bring in the reality check of the fact that life is going to suck if you don't stick with what you love.

I couldn't agree more. I do enjoy math, but right now Calculus III is killing me. I plan on sticking with it.

You cannot integrate e to the x squareD!

I used to feel discouraged back in elementary school, and math wasn't particularly my forte. My arithmetic was not that great and I still take longer than my classmates at number-crunching in my head. I prefer to take out a pencil and paper and work it out from there at my own turtle pace.

I don't have lightning-fast math reflexes (which hurts me at the SAT) but I enjoy doing math. Most of the band people look at me strange when I call acceleration by the name of "second derivative of the position function" and give me equally strange looks when I end up derivating functions on the entire whiteboard in band. Some of them emphatically said to me "What is THAT??!" and then I end up (trying) to teach them basic calculus, but most of the time they end up not listening to me and continuing with their business.

Im not so concerned about my GPA as much as I am focusing on learning the material. If it is understood, it will come together by itself. As stated by other members time and time again, ask questions. It seems like struggling over questions is part of the learning process, but it is the best way to make one better at this subject.

If all continuous functions are integrable, and if e^(x^2) is continuous, then what are we to make of the statement that "you cannot integrate e^(x^2)"? [eh?Theelectricchild]

fine i forgot the square root.

i just want to say, i just got done with a problem that was particularly challenging. looking back, i don't really see what was so difficult, now, but, when you're in the middle of it, you question things...
anyhow, i got done, and wrote "solved.", which was really nice. but then i stood up and was like "hmm, now what...". i love the feeling of solving things, along with the discouraging crap that goes along with it, roads that lead to nowhere, etc, but then, afterwards, i feel like, empty, without something to work on.

another thing, solving integrals using new methods in the textbook are boring. it's like, ok, i got this definite integral in 16 steps and 3 substitutions and a triangle, and here it is. the answer. how boring. anything involving a story or words is really fun though, because you get to construct information and and relate things to one another in new and exciting ways. now I'm rambling. sorrry..

motai said:
I used to feel discouraged back in elementary school, and math wasn't particularly my forte. My arithmetic was not that great and I still take longer than my classmates at number-crunching in my head. I prefer to take out a pencil and paper and work it out from there at my own turtle pace.

I used to be the same way. Still am, actually. People in my class take only seconds to do things like that and I'd have to think about it for a minute or two.

Chrono said:
I used to be the same way. Still am, actually. People in my class take only seconds to do things like that and I'd have to think about it for a minute or two.

Forget about girls, than you can calculated lightning fast!

Thats not necessarily true! Sometimes thinking about them can help you concentrate!

JasonRox said:
Forget about girls, than you can calculated lightning fast!

Usually, I include them in the calculuation. The critical points of her curves are... :-p :wink:

Boooo! Hahha.

Theelectricchild said:
Boooo! Hahha.

You made me lose my concentration. Now I have to start over again, which isn't a bad thing concerning how good she looks.

Chrono said:
Usually, I include them in the calculuation. The critical points of her curves are... :-p :wink:

I'm sure after a few years of mathematics we will be able to build one using functions only, and also prove that it's a girl. :eek:

JasonRox said:
I'm sure after a few years of mathematics we will be able to build one using functions only, and also prove that it's a girl. :eek:

I'm not very good on my proofs.

Chrono said:
I'm not very good on my proofs.
Then allow me to suggest the following:
1)Wait until a *real* girl has a bad day.
2)Offer to help her with her math.
3)Ask her sensitive questions until she starts crying.

If you can't take it from there, proofs aren't your only problem. :smile:

danitaber said:
2)Offer to help her with her math.

I've been doing that. That's the only thing that's barely keeping me in. Of course, they've yet to ask me for help.

Chrono said:
I was wondering if any of you were ever discouraged in math. I mean, you're sitting there in lecture and just feel like you're never going to get it. I haven't really had that happen, but I think it might sometime. How could you overcome that?
shall i call the wammmbulance?

jk. just hang in there.

cogito² said:
shall i call the wammmbulance?

You think they'll help? :-p

they've been pretty helpful in the past...

cogito² said:
they've been pretty helpful in the past...

Sounds like you've had some experience.

yes yes :(

fred the driver is really nice though

danitaber said:
If you can't take it from there, proofs aren't your only problem. :smile:

I've been doing some thinking on this and I believe you're right. I'm so screwed! :cry: :cry: