Oxford uni for a post-grad course?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Newlines
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Uni
In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a BSc in physics and is expecting to graduate with a first-class degree. They are interested in pursuing a PhD in particle physics at Oxford University, but are concerned about their chances due to their current university's reputation in the field. They are also unsure if their degree will meet the requirements stated on Oxford's website, including having a strong background in particle or nuclear physics and a four-year undergraduate degree. They are seeking advice on how to proceed and are considering reaching out to the admissions tutor at Oxford for more information.
Newlines
I am currently doing my undergrad BSc physics at Heriot-watt. Am expecting 1st class overall, but I wonder if Oxford would consider giving me an offer to particle physics phd course. Especially, given the fact Heriot-watt does not do so well in particle physics. On their (Oxford uni) website they mention that you have to have considerable particle or nuclear physics content in your course but the physics course I am studying at Heriot-watt doesn't. But since I like the subject, I have knowledge of it. Plus, they mention I have to have FOUR years of undergrad studies. Guess that means they expect me to have done MSc as well? Dunno...any advise would be greatly appreciated. thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
How long does a B.Sc. take at your institution? To my knowlegde most bachelor's programs are four years long.

Choppy said:
How long does a B.Sc. take at your institution? To my knowlegde most bachelor's programs are four years long.

takes three years here in the UK. In scotland it is four years, but if you have good A levels, you join at level 2 (year 2) and finish in three years.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to drop an email to the admission tutor/whoever's the most relevant person, and ask! You'll hopefully be able to get a feel for the place by talking to them, plus you'll find out what you want to know.

Related to Oxford uni for a post-grad course?

1. What are the admission requirements for post-grad courses at Oxford University?

The admission requirements for post-grad courses at Oxford University vary depending on the specific program and department. Generally, applicants are expected to have a strong academic background, relevant work experience, and a high GPA. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT.

2. How do I apply for a post-grad course at Oxford University?

To apply for a post-grad course at Oxford University, you will need to submit an online application through the university's website. The application will require you to provide personal information, academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Be sure to check the specific requirements for your chosen program before submitting your application.

3. What is the cost of attending Oxford University for a post-grad course?

The cost of attending Oxford University for a post-grad course will vary depending on your program, nationality, and living arrangements. As an international student, you can expect to pay higher tuition fees compared to UK and EU students. It is best to check the specific fees for your chosen program on the university's website.

4. Are there any scholarships available for post-grad students at Oxford University?

Yes, Oxford University offers a range of scholarships and funding opportunities for post-grad students. These include departmental scholarships, research grants, and external funding options. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on to increase your chances of receiving financial aid.

5. What is the student life like at Oxford University for post-grad students?

Oxford University offers a vibrant and diverse student life for post-grad students. You will have access to a wide range of clubs, societies, and events to enrich your experience. The university also provides support services for post-grad students, including career guidance, academic support, and mental health resources. Living in the historic city of Oxford also offers many cultural and social opportunities.