Understanding REDOX: How Do Mn, Fe, and NH4 Oxidize in Water?

• Thread starter Andre_212
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
Based on the information provided, it seems that there is no direct interaction between manganese, iron, and ammonium in terms of oxidation. Each element will undergo oxidation separately, based on their individual redox potentials and hydration enthalpy. It is difficult to predict which element will oxidize first, but using Pourbaix diagrams can provide a better understanding. In general, it seems that iron will oxidize before manganese due to its higher number of outer shell electrons. However, the specific redox potentials of each element may vary. It is recommended to further research and understand redox potentials to fully grasp this concept.
Andre_212
Hi,

In a water that contains manganese, iron and ammonium, I wondered what interaction they have with each other in terms of oxidation? I understand that they all oxidise but which element would oxidise first? Is it as simple as looking at the element and the shells to see which would lose an electron first?

Thanks

Regards,

Andre

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. Not sure what you mean by "interaction" - in general they get oxidized separately, and not because of the presence of the other ones, but because of the presence of the atmospheric oxygen.

2. Predicting which one gets oxidized first can get tricky, but in general it is just about redox potentials (probably the best approach: use Pourbaix diagrams).

Andre_212 said:
Hi,

In a water that contains manganese, iron and ammonium, I wondered what interaction they have with each other in terms of oxidation? I understand that they all oxidise but which element would oxidise first? Is it as simple as looking at the element and the shells to see which would lose an electron first?

Thanks

Regards,

Andre
It is actually based on reduction/oxidation potentials of these metals which also depends on their hydration enthalpy.

Borek said:
1. Not sure what you mean by "interaction" - in general they get oxidized separately, and not because of the presence of the other ones, but because of the presence of the atmospheric oxygen.

2. Predicting which one gets oxidized first can get tricky, but in general it is just about redox potentials (probably the best approach: use Pourbaix diagrams).

So is it just a matter of looking at which of these (ammonium, Fe, Mn) will lose the electron first. I have read that iron will oxidise first before Mn. Based on simple chemstry, Fe has two electrons on the outer shell and Mn has one. I would've thought the oxidation potential of Mn would be higher since it only has to lose 1 electron to form a complete outer shell. Ammonium NH4+, present in anaerobic groundwaters for examples also has one electron on the outer shell. But would this oxidise before iron?

Dr Uma Sharma said:
It is actually based on reduction/oxidation potentials of these metals which also depends on their hydration enthalpy.
Thanks. As above what are the different REDOX potentials of each element. Also what do you mean by hydration enthalpy?

@Andre_212 It think your chemistry background is not strong enough to deal with the answers given. I think we'll just close the thread with a link to understanding REDOX, which usually something one learns in secondary school.

Thanks for asking a good question.

1. What is the process of oxidation?

Oxidation is a chemical reaction in which an atom, ion, or molecule loses one or more electrons, resulting in a positive charge. This reaction typically involves the addition of oxygen, but it can also involve the loss of hydrogen or the transfer of electrons to another atom.

2. Why is the oxidation of Mn, Fe, and NH4 important?

The oxidation of manganese (Mn), iron (Fe), and ammonium (NH4) is important in various natural and industrial processes. It plays a crucial role in the formation of minerals, the breakdown of organic matter, and the production of fertilizers, among others.

3. How does the oxidation of Mn, Fe, and NH4 occur?

The oxidation of Mn, Fe, and NH4 can occur through several different mechanisms, depending on the specific conditions. It can involve the transfer of electrons to oxygen, the reaction with other chemicals, or the action of microorganisms.

4. What are the effects of oxidation on the environment?

Oxidation can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, it helps to break down pollutants and maintain a balance of nutrients in ecosystems. On the other hand, excessive oxidation can lead to the depletion of important minerals and harm organisms living in the environment.

5. How can we measure the oxidation of Mn, Fe, and NH4?

There are various methods for measuring the oxidation of Mn, Fe, and NH4, including spectrophotometry, titration, and electrochemical analysis. These techniques involve measuring the changes in the chemical properties of the substances before and after oxidation occurs.