1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oxidation #s For Zn(NO3)2 ?

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Oxidation #s For Zn(NO3)2 ???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to ballance the redox reaction underneath using the 1/2 reaction method but the problem is that I can't figure out the oxidation #s for Zn(NO3)2 and after that, I'm having problems balancing it.

2. Relevant equations

Zn + HNO3 ---> Zn(NO3)2 + 2NH4NO3 + H2O

3. The attempt at a solution

On the reactants side, the oxidation # for Zn is 0, For H->+1 for N--->+5 for O3--->-2/atom
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2
    NO3 should carry it's original Oxidation numbers when becoming Zn(NO3)2 since it's splits from H which carries a +1 charge. That would make NO3- (a -1 oxidation number for the entire ion since you already stated that N=+5 and O=-2 per molecule). Combining 2 NO3- groups with Zn would give Zn an oxidation number of 2+ in order to cancel out the 2- charge from the 2 NO3 groups, which is a common oxidation number for Zn.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?