How Far Must You Be from a Horn to Avoid Pain?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem is to find the distance at which a 110 Hz horn, assumed to be a point source, would begin to cause pain. Using the equation for sound power, P = I(4 pi R^2), and the threshold of pain, which is 1 watt per square meter, we can solve for R and get a distance of approximately 562 meters.
fazhu23
Pain from Horn Sound. (Solved Already)

Homework Statement

At a distance of 15 km, a 110 Hz horn, assumed to be a point source, is barely audible. At what distance would it begin to cause pain?

Homework Equations

1.)I(4 pi R^2) = I2 (4 pi R2^2)
2.)P= I(4 pi R^2); power at the point source

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the two equations above I set it so that my equation looks like the first one and then tried to solver for R2. I believe "I" should be equal to 10x10^-12 and the I2 should be equal to 1 because it's the pain threshold.

From there R in meters would be 15000 and I tried solving for R which lead me to the equation:
sqrt((1*(4*pie*15000^2))/(4*pie)) which lead me to the answer of: .04743m. Which is wrong. Any help?

EDIT: Nevermind I found the answer to it already.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question on the forum. I am a scientist and I would like to help you solve this problem.

First of all, I would like to clarify that the equation you have used, I(4 pi R^2) = I2 (4 pi R2^2), is the inverse square law for sound intensity. This means that the sound intensity decreases with the square of the distance from the source. However, for this problem, we need to use the equation for sound power, P = I(4 pi R^2), as you have correctly mentioned in your second equation.

Now, let's break down the problem step by step. We know that at a distance of 15 km, the sound from the horn is barely audible. This means that the sound intensity at this distance is equal to or less than the threshold of hearing, which is 10^-12 watts per square meter.

To find the distance at which the horn would start to cause pain, we need to use the threshold of pain, which is 1 watt per square meter. So, we can rewrite our equation as P = 1 = I(4 pi R^2).

Solving for R, we get R = √(1/(I*4*pi)). Now, we know that I = 10^-12 watts per square meter, so plugging in the values, we get R = √(1/(10^-12*4*pi)) = 562.34 meters.

Therefore, the distance at which the horn would begin to cause pain is approximately 562 meters.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

What is "Pain from Horn Sound"?

"Pain from Horn Sound" is a phenomenon where individuals experience physical discomfort or pain when exposed to loud horn sounds, such as car horns or sirens. This can range from mild discomfort to severe pain and can affect individuals differently.

What causes "Pain from Horn Sound"?

The exact cause of "Pain from Horn Sound" is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of factors including the loudness and frequency of the sound, individual sensitivity to sound, and previous exposure to loud noises. It can also be a sign of underlying medical conditions such as hyperacusis or tinnitus.

Who is most at risk for experiencing "Pain from Horn Sound"?

Individuals who are more sensitive to loud noises, such as those with hyperacusis or tinnitus, are more likely to experience "Pain from Horn Sound." Additionally, individuals who have been exposed to loud noises in the past, such as musicians or those who work in noisy environments, may also be at a higher risk.

How can "Pain from Horn Sound" be treated?

Treatment for "Pain from Horn Sound" may include avoiding exposure to loud horn sounds, using earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, and seeking medical treatment for underlying conditions. Cognitive-behavioral therapy and sound therapy may also be helpful in managing the discomfort and pain associated with this phenomenon.

Is "Pain from Horn Sound" a serious condition?

While "Pain from Horn Sound" can be a very uncomfortable and distressing experience, it is not typically considered a serious medical condition. However, if the pain is severe or interferes with daily life, it is important to seek medical attention to rule out any underlying conditions and to find ways to manage the discomfort.