Pair Production: Clarification and Explanation

In summary, pair production is a phenomenon where a high energy photon interacts with a nucleus to produce a particle pair, usually an electron and a positron. The produced particles may or may not annihilate, and if they do, a small amount of energy is lost to the nucleus. Annihilation can occur multiple times, but the energy decreases with each cycle. Pair production is a result of quantum field theory and does not require complex mathematics to explain.
quicksilver123
hi,

i just need a quick clarification on pair production.

from my limited understanding, a photon of sufficiently high energy (gramma ray with energy at least equal to the mass of both an electron and positron at rest) will interact with a nucleus in ways that i do not understand to produce a particle pair - an electron and a positron.

i thought, though, that when a particle and its antiparticle meet, they annihilate. would this be the case in this scenario? or would the vectors of the produced particles be such that they would never meet?
if they do annihilate, would the energy produced be equal to the energy of the initial gamma ray? if not, where in the process is energy lost?
if it is the case that annihilation occurs without energy loss, could this scenario repeat ad infinitum?

(in addition, if someone could explain the interaction between the gramma ray photon and the nucleus without resorting to complex maths, i would be much obliged)

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i thought, though, that when a particle and its antiparticle meet, they annihilate. would this be the case in this scenario?
They do not have to annihilate, and pair production is not exactly, but similar to the opposite direction.
or would the vectors of the produced particles be such that they would never meet?
Usually, yes.
if they do annihilate, would the energy produced be equal to the energy of the initial gamma ray? if not, where in the process is energy lost?
A tiny part of the energy will go to the nucleus.
if it is the case that annihilation occurs without energy loss, could this scenario repeat ad infinitum?
No. Apart from the energy lost to the nucleus, annihilation will produce (at least) two photons, both with (roughly) half the energy of the initial photon. In addition, it is rare that the produced particle pair annihilates again.
in ways that i do not understand
Quantum field theory. It just happens.

Likes 1 person

1. What is pair production?

Pair production is a phenomenon in which a particle and its antiparticle are created from a single photon in the presence of a strong electric field.

2. How does pair production occur?

Pair production occurs when a photon with enough energy interacts with a nucleus or an electric field. The photon then converts its energy into mass, creating a particle and an antiparticle pair.

3. What is the significance of pair production?

Pair production is significant because it provides evidence for the relationship between energy and mass in the theory of relativity. It also helps explain the stability of the atomic nucleus and plays a role in several nuclear and particle reactions.

4. Can pair production occur in a vacuum?

Yes, pair production can occur in a vacuum as long as there is a strong enough electric field present. In fact, it is more likely to occur in a vacuum due to the absence of other particles that could interfere with the process.

5. What are some applications of pair production?

Pair production has several applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It is used to understand the structure of atomic nuclei, study high-energy particle interactions in space, and create images of the human body in medical scans.