Paper on colleration between air and sound

In summary, the conversation focused on the topic of sound propagation in air and the possibility of writing a paper about it. The questioner asked for recommendations on good resources and experiments to include in the paper. The responder provided helpful websites and reminded the questioner to use spell-check when writing the paper. The questioner also asked for non-standard experiments, to which the responder provided additional resources.
RazorNapster
I am not sure if this is wright section for this question,so please excuse me if a made a mistake.
I am thinking of witing a paper about air as a meaning of sound transfer.Does humidity,temperature etc.influence sound.It should consist experiments and theory.So could you recommend me good book or website with information about this so that i inform myself before actual work.Also what do you think about this topic is it intersting and big enough to write a high school paper about it.Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RazorNapster, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your plan to write a paper about the propagation of sound in air is an excellent idea. Sound is utilized by every person who can hear and by most animals. We communicate using our voices and we enjoy listening to music. Sounds are all around us in our natural environment, including the forest, jungle, and even underwater! In our industrialized society there is workplace noise from machinery and product noise that can require hearing protection to avoid ear damage.

In your scientific study of sound please remember these three basic elements: sound’s generation, transmission, and reception. Each element should be studied separately.

As for reference material, here are two websites you may use to get started:

“The speed of sound is the distance traveled during a unit of time by a sound wave propagating through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343.2 meters per second (1,126 ft/s). This is 1,236 kilometers per hour (768 mph), or about one kilometer in three seconds or approximately one mile in five seconds.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

“Acoustics is the interdisciplinary science that deals with the study of all mechanical waves in gases, liquids, and solids including vibration, sound, ultrasound and infrasound.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustics

Don’t limit yourself to these websites. Using Google search you can dig deeper into any specific area you are interested in. Suggestion: use “spell-check” when you write your paper. And if you have some doubts or specific questions, come right back here to Physics Forums and let us know. Many of our members are ready and willing to assist you along your path towards more scientific knowledge.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Thank you very much for all of your help,i`ll come back if i need further assistance,also i am sorry if i made some spelling mistakes i haven't paid attention.

I need your help once again.I am writing paper however i would need some non satandard experiments.I found experiments however they are too usual,I woulld need experiments that are not so standard.Thank you.

Hi RazorNapster,

A Google search using the terms “sound experiments” brought about 27,300,000 results in 0.36 seconds! Here are the first three that appeared and between them there are over ONE HUNDRED easy-to-do sound experiments to choose from. Quite a few of them I would consider to be "non-standard", whatever that means. Not so popular? Unusual? Abnormal? Deviant?

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kogrange/sound_experiments.html
http://www.west.net/~science/sound.htm
http://www.hunkinsexperiments.com/themes/themes_sound.htm

I am slightly disappointed that you didn’t already do this research on your own. It is simple to do and is a free resource for information. We here at Physics Forums are standing by, just in case you have some technical questions or doubts.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

1. How does air affect the transmission of sound?

The air around us plays a crucial role in the transmission of sound. Sound waves travel through air molecules, which vibrate and carry the sound energy from its source to our ears. The density, temperature, and humidity of the air can all affect the speed and clarity of sound transmission.

2. Is there a direct correlation between air density and sound?

Yes, there is a direct correlation between air density and the speed of sound. As air density increases, the speed of sound also increases, resulting in clearer and louder sound transmission. This is why sound travels faster on a cold day compared to a hot and humid day.

3. Can changes in air pressure impact the quality of sound?

Absolutely. Changes in air pressure, such as those experienced during weather patterns, can greatly impact the quality of sound. High air pressure can result in clearer and louder sound transmission, while low air pressure can cause sound to be muffled and distorted.

4. How does wind affect the transmission of sound?

Wind can have a significant impact on the transmission of sound. When sound travels against the direction of the wind, it can be amplified and carry further. However, when sound travels in the same direction as the wind, it can be dampened and travel a shorter distance.

5. Is there a difference in sound transmission in different altitudes?

Yes, there is a difference in sound transmission at different altitudes. This is because the air density and pressure change with altitude, which can affect the speed and clarity of sound transmission. For example, sound travels faster and clearer at higher altitudes due to the lower air density.