1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper on time travel

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1
    do you think it's a good idea to write a 10 page research paper on time travel?

if not on time travel, could you possibly suggest something in modern physics that i can easily write a research paper on?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2005 #2
    Time travel is to modern physics as the Loch Ness monster is to zoology.

What are you interested in? There's a plethora of topics, ranging from the basics of band-gap theory and semiconductors to field theory and frontiers in quantum gravity. What class is this for, and maybe that'll give us a better idea of what you're looking for.
  4. Dec 7, 2005 #3
    is there any way we can talk one on one? like on aim or yahoo or something?
  5. Dec 7, 2005 #4
    I need help writing papers for modern physics

No, I'm not going to tell you to write them for me or anything

I just need someone to discuss a couple of things with me before I even start doing research, because I want to make sure I'm going in right direction.

So if you're good at phys as well as writing papers, can you please im me or something?
  6. Dec 7, 2005 #5
    btw my sn on yahoo/aim is pvirgohere
  7. Dec 7, 2005 #6
    my sn on yahoo/aim is pvirgohere
  8. Dec 7, 2005 #7

Gold Member

What class is this for?

The only real world theories for time travel are VERY abstract and complicated...
  9. Dec 7, 2005 #8
    Well .... can i possibly have a chat with you on yahoo/aim/msn?
  10. Dec 7, 2005 #9
    well well well.
    look who i found
  11. Dec 7, 2005 #10
    while actual 4-th dimensional travel is abstract, there are some real world phenomena that would be akin to time-travel.
    like the twins paradox.
    or the [itex] e^+ [/itex] being equivalent to an [itex] e^- [/itex] going backwards through time.
  12. Dec 8, 2005 #11
  13. Dec 8, 2005 #12
    can someone please im me???

I'm really lost! I need to discuss a couple of things!
  14. Dec 8, 2005 #13
    Hi, I can help you write your paper, but I dont have yahoo messenger. Why not post your topic here, and I can suggest a few things. Also, if you can post the details of the specifics of the paper, that would be good too.

- harsh
  15. Dec 8, 2005 #14
    do you have aim? ... or even msn?

there is a reason I cant post specifics of the paper here
  16. Dec 10, 2005 #15
    Like what?
  17. Dec 10, 2005 #16

Staff: Mentor

Academic manuscripts in pretty much all scientific fields follow the same general layout. Read a lot of papers from the journal that you are going to submit to and you will get the idea about the organization. Abstract, Intro, Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, References is pretty standard.

Some key points: the abstract is the most important part. Intro sets up the motivation talk about the state-of-the-art and the work of others. Methods includes theory and experimental set-up, particularly important is a discussion of your planned analysis and statistical methods. Results are just the observations from your experiments, the most difficult point here is to avoid any and all discussion, i.e. tell what you observed, but never any implications. Discussion is where you talk about the implications of your observations and put it in the context of the current state-of-the-art. Conclusion is a short paragraph on the take-home message.

Always exactly follow the "style guide" for the journal to which you are submitting. Reviewers can get irritated if you don't and irritating a reviewer never helped a manuscript get published. Also, always get as many co-workers and advisors as possible to look over a manuscript before submission.

18. Dec 20, 2005 #17
    I'm writing a paper on time travel ... and I'm kinda stuck!! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Removed the obnoxious font size.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2005
  19. Dec 21, 2005 #18
    Wow, was that ever the wrong way to ask! What, exactly, are you stuck on??
  20. Dec 22, 2005 #19
    I'm sorry ... I didnt mean to be rude or anything.

The problem is I cant seem to focus. I'm writing my paper on time travel, but I need a thesis ... a focus. Right now, I have no ideqa what I'm writing about.

Can I get your sn on aim?
  21. Dec 22, 2005 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you could address the following conundrum:

A time traveller goes from point (x1, t1) to (x2, t2). Does she pass through all times between t1 and t2? What do observers between the two points see?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?