Parabola General to standard form

In summary, the standard form of the given equation is (x-2)^2=-8(y-8) and the focus can be found at the vertex (2, 8).
markwjak

Homework Statement

write the standard form of the equation
x^2-4x+8y+12=0
find the focus

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have it down to (x-2)^2=-8(y-8)
i'm not sure if you have to multiply the -8 on the right side of the equations by 4 since the focus is 1/4a

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
markwjak said:

Homework Statement

write the standard form of the equation
x^2-4x+8y+12=0
find the focus

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have it down to (x-2)^2=-8(y-8)
i'm not sure if you have to multiply the -8 on the right side of the equations by 4 since the focus is 1/4a

(x-2)^2=-8(y-8)

let x' = x-2
let y' = y-8

So, x^2 = -8y'
or y' = -(1/8)*x^2

This is it in standard form. To plot it, the vertex of the parabola will be (2, 8) and it will look like an upside down 'U'.

Good work on getting the equation into standard form! To find the focus, we can use the formula for the focus of a parabola in standard form: (h, k + 1/4a). In this case, h = 2 and k = 8, so the focus is located at (2, 10). There is no need to multiply the -8 on the right side by 4. Keep in mind that the value of a in this case is actually -8, not 1/4a. Hope this helps!

1. What is the general form of a parabola?

The general form of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term.

2. What is the standard form of a parabola?

The standard form of a parabola is y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, and (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola.

3. How do you convert a parabola from general form to standard form?

To convert a parabola from general form to standard form, you can use the process of completing the square. This involves manipulating the general form equation to get it in the form of y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where h and k can be determined from the original equation.

4. What do the coefficients a, b, and c represent in the general form of a parabola?

The coefficient a represents the direction and shape of the parabola, with positive values creating a "U" shape and negative values creating an upside down "U" shape. The coefficient b controls the horizontal position of the parabola, and c determines the vertical position.

5. How do I graph a parabola given in standard form?

To graph a parabola given in standard form, first plot the vertex at the point (h,k). Then, use the value of a to determine the direction and shape of the parabola. If a is positive, the parabola will open upwards, and if a is negative, it will open downwards. Finally, use the x-intercepts, which can be found by setting y equal to 0 and solving for x, to plot additional points and complete the graph.