What are some paradoxes in mathematics?

• Thread starter NeutronStar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary: In fact, if you know about Russell's paradox, you know that assuming they form a set leads to contradiction. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of paradoxes in mathematics, particularly those related to infinity. The term "paradox" may not be entirely appropriate, as these mathematical facts are not inconsistent or not understood, but rather unintuitive truths. Examples of such paradoxes include Gabriel's Horn, where the internal surface area of an object is infinite yet the volume is finite, and the existence of larger and smaller infinities. The conversation also touches on the book "Russell's Paradox", which explores the concept of paradoxes in set theory. The conversation also delves into the concept of infinity and its various interpretations, such
NeutronStar
I'm looking for paradoxes in mathematics.

Things like Gabriel's Horn where the internal surface area of an object is infinite yet the volume is finite.

Or the fact that there are larger and smaller infinities yet infinity is supposed to be an endless process.

Any others?

Is there a book on mathematical paradoxes?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why are these paradoxes?

The term 'paradox' is inappropriate, because it (generally) means something that is inconsistent and not understood; these mathematical facts are neither inconsistent nor not undersootd. Maybe a better phrase would be 'unintuitive truths.'

- Warren

chroot said:
The term 'paradox' is inappropriate, because it (generally) means something that is inconsistent and not understood; these mathematical facts are neither inconsistent nor not undersootd. Maybe a better phrase would be 'unintuitive truths.'

- Warren

Ok, so these are only 'truths" with respect to the definition of the limit.

That's something that I do understand.

I basically already knew that was the answer but I just needed a memory jog.

Thanks.

NeutronStar said:
Ok, so these are only 'truths" with respect to the definition of the limit.

Incorrect.

These statements are only paradoxes within a basically incoherent, and usually unstated, set of assumptions.

Consider Russell's Paradox -

"A logical contradiction in set theory discovered by Bertrand Russell. If R is the set of all sets which don't contain themselves, does R contain itself? If it does then it doesn't and vice versa" http://computing-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Russell+paradox

Two futher comments by author are: Zermelo Fränkel set theory is one "solution" to this paradox. Another, type theory, restricts sets to contain only elements of a single type, (e.g. integers or sets of integers) and no type is allowed to refer to itself so no set can contain itself.

A message from Russell induced Frege to put a note in his life's work, just before it went to press, to the effect that he now knew it was inconsistent but he hoped it would be useful anyway.

Last edited:
Take the matter of the tortoise and the hare. Before the hare can catch the tortoise, it must go half the distance between them. Then it must go half again, so the tortoise can never reach the hare as Zeno suggested.

But it travels each new distance in half the time as before, thus the series is in time: Limit 1+1/2+1/4+1/8++=2. Indicating that an infinite number of things can be done in a finite amount of time.

This seems, somewhat, similar to Gabriel's Horn, does it not? The fact is the amount of paint put on the surface if we think of this as first a paint job, gets less and less as we go along, in fact, the thickness of the paint covers from wall to opposite wall, and eventually the thickness of the paint is less than any given amount. So that only a finite amount of paint would cover everything.

Last edited:
The other one about larger and smaller infinites is quite different, since before Cantor gave us such set theory, no one took much stock in that. But Cantor looked at the matter of cardinality, which is to put one set in one to one correspondence with another. With some infinite sets this is possible and with others it is not. For example, even Galileo pointed out the mapping sending n to n^2 shows that there are as many squares of integers as they are integers. This is referred to as Galileo's paradox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_paradox. A further note found there is:

"Galileo concluded that the ideas of less, equal, and greater applied only to finite sets, and did not make sense when applied to infinite sets. (You see then Galileo "solved" the paradox by ruling out the situation.)

BUT, in the nineteenth century, Cantor, using the same methods, showed that while Galileo's result was correct as applied to the whole numbers and even the rational numbers, the general conclusion did not follow: some infinite sets are larger than others, in that they cannot be put into one-to-one correspondence."

Some people refuse to accept Cantor, such as the intuitionists, who argued that infinity meant only a potential situation, an end point, something never actually achieved. They argued that proofs must be constructible in a finite number of steps, and ruled out proof by contradiction.

But as a logic professor pointed out to me once, "How can you refuse to accept the set of all integers?" So that intuitionists generally accept denumerable infinity (a one to one correspondance with the integers) but not higher orders. They reject the Axiom of Choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
NeutronStar said:
Or the fact that there are larger and smaller infinities yet infinity is supposed to be an endless process.

Find me one mathematics reference that defines 'infinity as an endless process'.

banach-tarski "paradox" (though counter-intuitive truth is better) is a nice one.

chop up a ball, put the pieces together and get two balls of equal size to the first

robert Ihnot said:
Some people refuse to accept Cantor, such as the intuitionists, who argued that infinity meant only a potential situation, an end point, something never actually achieved. They argued that proofs must be constructible in a finite number of steps, and ruled out proof by contradiction.
That's curious; |P(X)| > |X| is a theorem of intuitionist set theory! It's true that intuitionist logic does throw out the law of the excluded middle ([itex]P \vee \neg P = T[/itex]), but it keeps the law of noncontradiction ([itex]P \wedge \neg P = F[/itex]), which means you can use proof by contradiction for proving negative statements, such as [itex]|\mathcal{P}(X)| \neq |X|[/itex].

You have to go all the way to constructivism (or something more exotic) before you can permit |X| = |P(X)|!

But as a logic professor pointed out to me once, "How can you refuse to accept the set of all integers?"
It's not that tough, actually. For many purposes, accepting the class of integers is enough; you don't have to assume they actually form a set.

You may be interested that the area under 1/x^2 from 0 - infinity converges, but the one for 1/x does not, even though the shapes are extremely similar. And infinities larger than others actually make sense. Some functions will reach large numbers quicker than others, both eventually reaching infinity at the limit, but the other is still larger. eg n^n will reach it much faster than say, n!.

Gib Z said:
You may be interested that the area under 1/x^2 from 0 - infinity converges, but the one for 1/x does not,

neither of those areas is finite. you meant 1 to infinity, not 0 to infinity. Areas don't converge, by the way. They just are. I

even though the shapes are extremely similar. And infinities larger than others actually make sense. Some functions will reach large numbers quicker than others, both eventually reaching infinity at the limit, but the other is still larger. eg n^n will reach it much faster than say, n!.

that is asymptotics, (size of finite things), not infinite cardinals as was meant by 'different sizes of infinity'.

arildno said:
Incorrect.

These statements are only paradoxes within a basically incoherent, and usually unstated, set of assumptions.

I'm not sure I like that wording either... they're contradictions with those (unstated, intuitive, inconsistent) set of assumptions.

my bad, yep i meant for 1 to infinity, not 0. And sorry about that, I am not familiar with infinite cardinals.

CRGreathouse said:
I'm not sure I like that wording either... they're contradictions with those (unstated, intuitive, inconsistent) set of assumptions.

They certainly are contradictions. I regard that as an effect of the set being, basically, incoherent at the outset.

1. What is a paradox in mathematics?

A paradox in mathematics is a statement or problem that seems to contradict itself or go against common sense, but is nevertheless true. It often arises from a logical or mathematical proof that leads to an unexpected or counterintuitive result.

2. What are some famous paradoxes in mathematics?

Some famous paradoxes in mathematics include the Banach-Tarski paradox, the Zeno's paradoxes, and the Russell's paradox. These paradoxes have challenged our understanding of logic and have led to further developments in the field of mathematics.

3. How do paradoxes in mathematics affect our understanding of the subject?

Paradoxes in mathematics often challenge our assumptions and force us to think critically about the underlying principles and concepts. They can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field, and ultimately deepen our understanding of mathematics.

4. Are all paradoxes in mathematics solved?

No, not all paradoxes in mathematics have been solved. Some paradoxes, such as the Continuum Hypothesis, still remain unsolved and continue to be a topic of research and debate among mathematicians.

5. Can paradoxes in mathematics be useful?

Yes, paradoxes in mathematics can be useful in that they help us identify and correct errors in our reasoning and understanding of mathematical concepts. They also inspire new ways of thinking and approaching problems, leading to further progress and advancements in the field.