Determining Parallax Accuracy for Stellar Distances

• Thread starter ~Sam~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallax
In summary: Since θ =sun-distance/star-distance. Then star distance= sun distance/θ. I'm not sure what you mean by uncertainty in star distance and angle (do you mean inverse proportional?). Thanks for the help so far.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

Out to what distance in parsecs can we find the distances of stars to 10% accuracy or better; i.e., at what distance would the 1 mas accuracy of the measurements result in a 10% uncertainty in the distance? (HINT: To reasonable accuracy, the percentage uncertainty in the inverse of a quantity equals the percentage uncertainty in the quantity itself.)

Homework Equations

Tan(θ)= opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher tells me that this is all the information I need, this question mentioned the Hipparcos catalogue, but I was told I didn't need it. Any ideas? I know how to calculate the distance of a celestial object using parallactic angle..but how are you suppose to know the uncertainity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ~Sam~! :smile:

With what accuracy can you measure angles?

tiny-tim said:
Hi ~Sam~! :smile:

With what accuracy can you measure angles?

I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean the usage of the small angle approximation? And the relative accuracy for small angles, thus distance objects?

To measure distance by parallax, you have to measure angles (at two different times).

The accuracy of the distance depends on the accuracy of the angles.

So how accurate are the angles?

tiny-tim said:
To measure distance by parallax, you have to measure angles (at two different times).

The accuracy of the distance depends on the accuracy of the angles.

So how accurate are the angles?

Sorry, I'm just not getting it, and I don't have data or anything..So I'm not sure how to determine the accuracy of the angle.

Ok wait, so I can accurately measure the angle to the milliarsecond. So with that we can get 1000 parsecs relatively accurate. But where does the 10 percent come into play? How would I figure that out?

~Sam~ said:
Ok wait, so I can accurately measure the angle to the milliarsecond.

Good.

Now what is the formula connecting the parallax angle with the distance? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Good.

Now what is the formula connecting the parallax angle with the distance? :smile:

tan(θ)= opp/adj, so opp=1parsec and adj=our distance.
But more importantly there is p('')= 1/ r(pc) so r(parsecs)=1/ p(arsecs)..I could divide and get 1000pc.?

Still, I have difficulty understanding how to incorporate the 10%..or is it already incorporated with the answer being 1000pc?

~Sam~ said:
tan(θ)= opp/adj, so opp=1parsec and adj=our distance.

No, adj is our distance from the star, and opp is our distance from the sun (or is it twice that? :confused:).

So θ ~ tanθ = sun-distance/star-distance.

Assuming we know sun-distance extremely accurately, what is the relation between uncertainty in star-distance and uncertainty in angle?

tiny-tim said:
No, adj is our distance from the star, and opp is our distance from the sun (or is it twice that? :confused:).

So θ ~ tanθ = sun-distance/star-distance.

Assuming we know sun-distance extremely accurately, what is the relation between uncertainty in star-distance and uncertainty in angle?

Since θ =sun-distance/star-distance. Then star distance= sun distance/θ. I'm not sure what you mean by uncertainty in star distance and angle (do you mean inverse proportional?). Thanks for the help so far.

1. What is parallax accuracy?

Parallax accuracy refers to the degree of error or uncertainty in a measurement caused by the observer's perspective. It occurs when the position of an object appears to shift due to the observer's changing viewing angle.

2. How is parallax accuracy measured?

Parallax accuracy is measured by comparing the apparent position of an object from two different viewing angles. The difference in the apparent position is then used to calculate the degree of error or uncertainty in the measurement.

3. What factors affect parallax accuracy?

The accuracy of parallax measurements can be affected by several factors, including the distance to the object, the observer's viewing angle, and the precision of the measuring instrument.

4. Can parallax accuracy be corrected?

In some cases, parallax accuracy can be corrected by using specialized techniques or instruments. For example, in astronomy, telescopes often have built-in mechanisms to account for parallax and provide more accurate measurements.

5. How important is parallax accuracy in scientific research?

Parallax accuracy is crucial in scientific research, particularly in fields like astronomy and geology where precise measurements are essential. It is also important in other areas, such as surveying and navigation, where accurate measurements are needed for practical applications.