Exploring Forbidden Space: Traveling Through Black and White Holes

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of black holes and the structure of collapsing black holes. The linked article and diagram were discussed, with a question raised about how an object can travel through forbidden space in the diagram. The possibility of universes being square and the existence of white holes in our universe were also mentioned. The conversation ended with a reference to a paper discussing the structure of collapsing black holes and a question about the Cauchy Horizon.
DB
http://www.astronomical.org/astbook/blkhole.html

Schneibster posted this link and I'm glad he did becuase it's very interesting. After reading it I have one question because I don't completely understand this diagram:

http://www.astronomical.org/astbook/images/fig8.gif

Gray is forbidden space. My question is, if gray is forbidden space, how does an object travel in through a black hole and out through a white hole crossing the forbidden space as shown in the diagram?

2 more things.

1. Are universes square?
2. Are there any known white holes in our universe?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you might want to know - black holes formed by collapse are probably not going to have this geometry (the geometry of the Kerr solution). The geometry outside the (outer) event horizon of the black hole will be the same, but inside it will be considerably different.

this paper

has some of the best current estimates of what the actual structure of a collapsing black hole would look like (unless there is a more modern paper that's escaped my notice, which is possible).

Thanks. I understand the paper, but I would like to know what exactly is the Cauchy Horizon? Like a diagram.

Last edited:
Nevermind I googled it and found some cool definitions, thanks anyway.

Related to Exploring Forbidden Space: Traveling Through Black and White Holes

1. What is the difference between a black hole and a white hole?

A black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. On the other hand, a white hole is a hypothetical region of space where matter and energy can only leave, but not enter. In other words, while black holes pull matter and energy into them, white holes expel them.

2. How do black holes and white holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity, becoming extremely dense. White holes, on the other hand, are still hypothetical and their formation is not yet understood. One theory suggests that they may be the other end of a black hole, where matter and energy are ejected instead of being pulled in.

3. Can we travel through black holes and white holes?

At this point, we do not have the technology to travel through black holes or white holes. The immense gravitational forces and unknown properties of these regions make it impossible for our current technology to withstand the journey.

4. How would time and space be affected by traveling through a black hole or white hole?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, time and space are warped near black holes and white holes due to their immense gravitational forces. This means that time would pass differently for someone outside the black hole or white hole compared to someone traveling through it.

5. What would happen if someone were to enter a black hole or white hole?

If someone were to enter a black hole, they would experience what is known as spaghettification, where the immense gravitational forces would stretch their body into long, thin strands. As for white holes, it is still unknown what would happen if someone were to enter one, as they are purely hypothetical at this point.