Parallel Plate Capacitor Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for capacitance and how the distance variable can lead to infinite capacitance for an infinitely small length of material. The solution to this problem lies in considering the relationship between charge, voltage, and capacitance, as well as the dielectric strength of the insulator. The thickness of the dielectric is critical in determining the physical volume of a capacitor, as it must be thick enough to reliably insulate the plates and withstand breakdown voltage. This helps explain the maximum voltage specifications in capacitor datasheets.
decaf14
TL;DR Summary
How to design a parallel plate capacitor.
Hello,

A question came up in my head that I couldn't think of a way to math out.

Say I want to design a parallel plate capacitor. The equation for capacitance is quite simple:
1568928279871.png

Everything in this equation makes sense, besides for the distance. This is saying that an infinitely small length of material would have infinite capacitance. This doesn't seem right, as a material can only hold so much charge/electric field. How would I go about factoring in the amount of charge a material can hold when designing a parallel plate capacitor?

I'm going through an exercise of designing a silicon dioxide capacitor (dielectric constant = ~4).

Engineering news on Phys.org
The solution to the problem lies in the relation between charge, voltage and capacitance. Q = CV and the dielectric strength of the insulator.

Likes decaf14
gleem said:
The solution to the problem lies in the relation between charge, voltage and capacitance. Q = CV and the dielectric strength of the insulator.

Thanks, that makes sense. This probably gives rise to those "maximum voltage" specifications we see in capacitor datasheets?

Likes gleem
The critical thing that determines capacitor physical volume is the thickness of the dielectric needed to separate and reliably insulate the plates. That thickness will be determined by the breakdown voltage, a function of dielectric strength in volts / metre.

Likes decaf14

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device used to store electrical charge. It consists of two parallel conducting plates separated by a dielectric material.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in farads, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases.

4. What is the purpose of a dielectric material in a parallel plate capacitor?

The dielectric material in a parallel plate capacitor serves to increase the capacitance by reducing the electric field between the plates. It also acts as an insulator to prevent the plates from coming into contact with each other.

5. How can I increase the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be increased by increasing the area of the plates, decreasing the distance between the plates, or using a dielectric material with a higher permittivity. Additionally, connecting multiple capacitors in parallel can also increase the overall capacitance.