Slope and Concavity of a Parametric Function

• Thread starter thharrimw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, the task is to find the slope and concavity of a function at a given point (0,0) with the equations x=t^2 and y=t^2+t+1. The attempt at a solution includes using t=x^(1/2) and finding the first and second derivatives, as well as determining the correct expression for the second derivative using the chain rule. The correct t-values are also identified for finding the slope and concavity.
thharrimw

Homework Statement

find the slope and concavity of the funtion at the given point.
x=t^2
Y=t^2+t+1
(0,0)

Homework Equations

t=x^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

t=0 when x=0
x'=2t
y'=2t+1
M=2t/(2t+1)=0
for the second deritive would you take the deritive of 2t/(2t+1) devided by the deritive of 2t+1
once i find the second deritive i would plug in o for t and if it was + than it would be up -would be down. right?

Physics news on Phys.org
thharrimw said:
M=2t/(2t+1)=0
I assume that by M you mean [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex]. It should be y'/x' instead here.
for the second deritive would you take the deritive of 2t/(2t+1) devided by the deritive of 2t+1
Why should it be the derivative of y'=2t+1? How would you use the chain rule to determine a correct expression for d^2y/dx^2 ?
once i find the second deritive i would plug in o for t and if it was + than it would be up -would be down. right?
Not quite. You'll want to find the value of t for which x=y=0. For x=0,t=0 so that's correct. For y, setting t=0 gives y=1. Setting y=0 and solving for t gives you the correct t-values.

1. What are parametric 2'nt derivatives?

Parametric 2'nt derivatives refer to the second derivative of a parametric equation, which describes the relationship between two variables as they change over time.

2. How are parametric 2'nt derivatives calculated?

Parametric 2'nt derivatives can be calculated using the chain rule, which involves taking the derivative of each component of the parametric equation and then multiplying them together. Alternatively, they can also be calculated using the second-order partial derivatives.

3. What is the significance of parametric 2'nt derivatives in science?

Parametric 2'nt derivatives are important in science because they allow us to understand the rate of change of two variables over time, which is essential in many fields such as physics, biology, and engineering. They can also help us predict future trends and make accurate calculations.

4. Can parametric 2'nt derivatives be negative?

Yes, parametric 2'nt derivatives can be negative. This indicates that the rate of change of the two variables is decreasing over time. In other words, the curve described by the parametric equation is concave down.

5. How can parametric 2'nt derivatives be applied in real-world scenarios?

Parametric 2'nt derivatives can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as predicting the acceleration of an object moving along a curved path, analyzing population growth, or understanding the behavior of chemical reactions. They can also be used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.